help what does it all mean

Posted , 3 users are following.

My dad is 56 went docs with bad back, next min having tests done he has psa 17 had biopsy which has confirmed prostate cancer. Left side 3+3 and right side 4+3 total 7 Gleason score. He got to have bone scan see if it has spread. Staging t3. I'm lost with all numbers etc. Does it mean it has spread to bones etc.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

G'day louise1106...welcome to the forum... The numbers that you are talking about are designed to give you an understanding of a persons diagnosis and prognosis...

The PSA levels relates to the amount of Prostate Specific Antigen that is present in a persons bloodcount...indicates possible issues with prostate...

The Gleeson Score is a rating with regards the possible aggressiveness of the cancer...

Staging t3 generally means that the cancer is still contained within the prostate...a good sign...

Good chances are, hopefully, that it is still all contained within the prostate and has not spread...fingers crossed...

I'm 54 and have considerable experience with this dreaded foe so please feel free to ask any questions, regardless of how personal you may think they are...understanding this cancer is vital...

Good Luck and do please keep me informed with your dads results and progress...

• Posted

Hello, my other half was diagnosed last year age 57. No symptoms, he was fit and healthy and we have young children, so was all a shock. His Gleason was a little lower than yours at 6 and psa was 3.7 raising to 4.9 by the time he had treatment (brachytherapy) He wasn't offered a bone scan as they said no need. I was a bit annoyed as he has had a terrible back. I think once the is at 7 you should be offered a bone scan. I think the chances of it spreading are low but hopefully you'll get a bone scan so you can 100% certain.

All the best.

• Posted

That is meant to read...once the Gleason hits 7. I somehow managed to remove the word Gleason!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.