Help-what is considered healthy and unhealthy haemoglobin and iron levels?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been struggling with low haemoglobin and iron levels for 5, 6 years-maybe longer. I am often on a course or iron tablets. My latest iron deficiency results were: Heamoglobin 11.2; Iron 25. Six months ago it was: Haemoglobin 9.5; Iron 13. Are these figures considered very low? My doctor reports my results without due concern, but other people/professionals-a nurse-sees it as cause for concern. My Iron deficiency is caused by heavy periods and a number of small fibroids. I am a 49 year old menstruating female-roll on menopause!

Please can someone who can shed some light please respond. Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

just found your post. I am too very confused about iron levels and what is or isn't considered 'normal'. I had my ferritin levels checked and they have come back as 'satisfactory' at 24 which doesn't sound great to me . Online it says that normal is 22 to about 150, quite a big range. But mine seems to be at the lower end of the scale so I guess a top up might be in order. I am also 49 and have had very heavy periods etc and dizzy head, brain fog, lack of concentration....... The list goes on. Got appt with GP in 2 wks to discuss but in the meantime I'm going to take a little bit of iron and see what happens. Hope things are going ok with you. Let me know how you are getting on. Xxx

• Posted

Hi

I am still taking iron. My gp attitude was similair to yours re: results, whereas like you say, the gap is very wide and we are at lower end. I am going to get mines tested again. Will update you on results. xx

• Posted

Thanks and good luck with that. Did the GP tell you to take iron?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.