Help what's to eat???

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have pancreatitis & um struggling what to eat as in meals! Also what sugar can I have I feel weak as I've had no sugar. No-one has really sat down with me & told me what I can & can't eat. I've looked on various websites but some say you can eat things & then some say you can't!

It's like I'm starving myself as I don't want to make my pain any worse

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stacey,

im in the same boat, been struggling with CP for over a year now. Lately I've kind of been ignoring the low fat thing, and gone to no gluten, no dairy, and low fructose. Eating only low fructose fruits like berries, and only a few cooked vegetables. I've mainly been eating meat/protein. Not necessarily steak, but ground beef, pork, ribs, chicken, turkey, eggs etc. As far as the sugar, I've been eating gluten free cereal with almond milk, but that's about it right now. So far this week it seems to be a little better. Time will tell. I'm sorry you're hurting, I know the feeling rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Stacey,

If you don't want to progress to chronic pancreatitis. Definitely low fat to no fat is needed. Stay away from meats. Except fish that have practically no fat and skinless fatless chicken breast. For dairy you can see if u can tolerate fat free milk and yogurt. The rest is manly veagan stuff . Veggies, legumes and fruits loaded with anti oxidants.

You may also need to supplement antioxidants

Vit c

Grapeseed extract

Multivitamin

Boswellia

Please do not substitute this for medical advice as I am no doctor. I am only sharing what helped me get by.

I hope this helps

• Posted

Thanks Alex

That's what I've pretty much sticking too but I do struggle to make meals if they are not all the same if you know what I mean.

Also do you know if you can eat sugar? Or is that a no no too?

• Posted

I eat lots of fruit -- and I DO use sugar (I've always used brown sugar to sweeten fresh berries, and a little goes a long way.).  I also use honey and stevia as sweeteners.  I follow the low-fat diet, but as I am now on Zenpep (replacement enzymes) I am not as worried about being completely NO fat.  Those enzymes need to break down something!  I try to keep it to no more than 20 grams of fat per day (it doesn't matter if it is "good" or "bad"...fat is fat).   I have found that having a no-fat yogurt (or kefir) drink as my "nighttime" snack helps keep the gas and bloating down at night.   Figure that as natural as possible is better than any processed foods.  Probably the hardest thing for me to give up (besides a good glass of wine now and then, sigh) has been cheese.   Oh, and nuts.  But lately I've been able to incorporate a small amount of grated parmesan, or even monterey jack, or low fat mozzerella or ricotta (although you can find no fat versions).  I've actually made lasagna using no fat mozz and ricotta, a low-fat chicken/dried tomato/spicy sausage from Trader Joes, and diced organic tomatoes with fresh oregano and basil and roasted red peppers which calculated out to about 9 grams of fat per serving.  You can make all kinds of salads.  I like to make a mostly lemon juice dressing with chopped garlic and just a minimal amount of grapeseed oil.  Grill seafood, or chicken (boneless/skinless), or even lean pork loin chops.  Personally, I have never had a problem with gluten or dairy, although I've switched from using skim milk to low-fat almond milk simply because of taste.  There is a LOT you can still eat.  It's taken me a long time to bounce back from the flare up that pushed me into the CP diagnosis, but I would never have believed 6 weeks ago that I could have gone from clear liquids, yogurt and oat meal and 24/7 pain to feeling practically normal again.  

Try some things from that cookbook.  We've become real lentil and other bean fans -- and I never really ate beans much before.  I went lightly on the herbs and spices at first, but as my system has adjusted to its current condition, it has surprised me by letting me spice things up like I used to before CP.  Everyone seems to have a different experience, which is probably why this is such a hard disease to treat.  It will never go away completely, but some of us ARE able to keep up our quality of life, if we really work at it.   Don't throw in the towel too quickly.  See what works for you.  ASK QUESTIONS of your doctor.  Don't despair when you have a bad night (well, that's my most difficult time, but it is becoming a bit more controllable, so I've hope).  It seems even after a bad night, even when I have to force myself to get up in the morning, once I'm up these days, I come downstairs with a big smile on my face because...NO PAIN, and I feel happy that I can have a pretty normal day.

• Posted

That's a very good read & I shall try the lasagne!

Yes I will miss a wine & im also getting married this year with a 3 night hen do to Marbella so the bride to be is going to be the only sober one but never mind health first

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.