help what to wear when had hysterectomy! !

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I'm having my TAH on Tues and I'm wondering what to pack for hospital im only staying for two nights hopefully? What to wear too for coming home?? Any help would be so welcome😊

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon

Loose and comfortable I was told to prepare for, in case you have 'swelly belly', having said that I was very lucky and was able to get back into my tight leggings and jeggings as soon as I was home.   Don't forget to that oil of peppermint with you.   2/3 drops in a glass of water 3 times a day, stops all the nasty 'gas' pain.  

Probably best to take loose and comfortable to hospital and you can sort out what is best for you when you get home.  Good luck for Tuesday, hope all goes well.  Let us know how you get on when you can.

Warmest Wishes

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Best of luck, I had a TAH in December, and couldnt wear anything other than Loose PJs for 2.-3 weeks.., so loose clothing definitley.. check out Hyster Systers website, lots of helpful information on there..
  • Posted

Thanks well I've got nighties for hospital and Im always in leggings and dresses at home but wasn't sure if my leggings would be too tight round the scar?? So maybe I'll wear a size bigger than normal joggers? I was told too that u r better with buttoned up clothing instead of pulling over head? Xx
  • Posted

I managed to pull over my head no trouble, my nightdresses and tops when I got home. It will be a lot better that you are expecting 
  • Posted

You will be in hospital gown for first night probably and then the next day they will let you get up and you can shower and put your own PJ's on. I set the clothes out at home that i wanted to come home in (baggy sweatshirt and jogging bottoms) and just told my other half where they were and when i needed them bought in. The cut area is so low down (just above pubic hairline) that unless you are putting a pair of jeans or really really tight leggings on you should be okay. Like Jacqueline i have been fine with not much swelly belly and i was back in my jeans for a couple of hours a day by week 4.  Hope it all goes okay for you xx

• Posted

Hello neverataystill

question, I saw you commented about jeans. I am now going on 7th week and doctor gave me 2 more weeks of disability Due to still not feeling 100%. I have yet to put jeans on. How did you know you could wear? It's like I am afraid putting anything tight on belly and I order the panty for post hystercomy and wanna give a try. Have you tried squeeze belly in? How long before swelling went down? Thanks

• Posted

Hi Maria

I just kept wearing the same old black jeggings and got fed up with them and thought i would have a trying on my clothes morning to see if all still fitted and looked any different. I must admit i was slightly afraid when i tried my jeans on and it did feel weird over the numb scar area but once i had got my head round that feeling it was okay, i only kept them on for a couple of hours.  I haven't really got any swelling apart from a bit of a lump at left hand end of scar so not finding clothes wearing much of a problem, although if i do a lot during the day there is a little swelling

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

I was in 3 nights and bought some nighties as several people commented that they would be easier because of the catheter and drain.Having said that the morning after the op i had a wash,the catheter and drain were removed but i was given a hospital nightie to change into as my things never arrived the first night as there was confusion to where i was.I stayed in their nightie until i did get all my things later the 2nd day.Nighties were cooler.The only other thing i bought ,again by reading other posts were larger knickers.They didn't rub my scar and they are so comfy that i still wear them now.Tops over my head were no problem and quite tight trousers by about week 2-3.The worst thing was trying to get socks on.My Dad had to help,it was quite funny.Stick to slip on shoes aswell.One extra tip but it isn't to do with what you wear and that is to sort out your handbag if you always carry a large and heavy you like i do.You won't be able to carry it so you must minimise.

Good Luck

Teresa

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.