Help! Why are things worse?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, as I write this I am nearly in tears. I haven't a clue what to do. I was diagnosed with grade 2 oesophagitis in February after an endoscopy. I also have Barretts and gastritis. All of this was a bit of a shock as I don't get heartburn. I had a lump in the throat feeling and difficulty swallowing. Before I had the endoscopy I had started to feel better and felt a bit of a fraud on the day, however when I got the results I decided that taking the meds (30 mg Lansoprazole 2x per day) was the best thing to do. Things only got a tiny bit better and my GP switched me to 20mg of nexium 2x per day. This seemed to help and for the first time in months I was able to relax. I had chased around after a gastro appointment at the hospital for months and finally got one last week ( I had been having a burning sensation in my stomach ever since the endoscopy).

To cut a long story short, the GI doctor said that all my symptoms were reflux and that I had to take double the dose of nexium (40mg 2x per day) since then my symptoms have got slowly worse, and now I can't swallow food again without it hurting and sticking. My throat is bad and I have that all too familiar bitter taste in my mouth.

Has anyone else had flare ups of oesophagitis? It's really scared me because of the Barretts. I just don't know what to do now. Ideally I would like another endoscopy as I wNt to know whether these tablets are helping or making things worse. Just wondering if there were any similar stories out there with happy endings. Sometimes I feel like I don't want to go on with things not getting better Nd with the threat of cancer hanging over my head. Ironic really as this time last year I was happy as Larry. Hope there's others out there who have had similar experience and who can offer guidance.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I used to take DGL licorice at random times and during the night too for stomach pain.

I am not sure it is the right moment to try the cabbage juice cure as it is going to help your stomach but make you feel crappy overall (headache, bad breath, gas and feeling weird) and you seem to feel miserable enough now. I would keep it for when you feel a little better.

• Posted

Hi Stella sorry you're having so much trouble at the moment. I was on double dose nexium at one point as 40mg wasn't helping however I did as they told me and went on the higher dose for a month or 2. I'm still having problems with my throat and swallowing too. I'm waiting on a ph manometry now. It's an awful thing to have! I've cut out everything acidic, sleep on a reflux wedge, I slept upright for 3 months also. I've lost a lot of weight too and am now underweight. I think my saving grace over the past 6 months has been reiki, I go to this lady every 2 weeks. She is also a nutritionalist and has recommended I take probiotics and digestive enzimes and l glutamine. So I've been doing that for a couple of weeks. My diet is very very basic but I would recommend soft foods if you are finding it difficult to swallow. For example oatmeal with almond milk. Low fat yoghurts if you can take them, omelettes with some spinach. Things that go down easy. This forum is very helpful to hear to hear what others are doing so keep posting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.