Help with an answer about weight loss surgery on the NHS

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all.  I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if i will be given weight loss surgery on the NHS.  I went to a place in Liverpool called Aintree loss about 18 months ago and lost about 2 stone, but although i have tried my best to eat sensibly i have now put that back on and more besides. So about 5 weeks ago i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and i'm on medication for that.  I have also seen my GP who has given me Orlistat (Xenical) which i had also the last time i seen Aintree loss.

I am disabled so cannot do any exercise at all through multiple musculoskeltal problems which means exercise is out of the question due to the chronic pain syndrome i now have, so i am trying to lose weight with diet and Orlistat alone, which is not going very well.   I have read the NHS NICE guidelines and it states:

Must have a BMI of 40+ or a BMI of 35+ and a co morbidity such as type 2 diabetes, tried other methods of losing weight but cannot keep it off and are fit enough for the surgery which i am as it's my muscles and joints that cause me the pain.  Has anyone else had the surgery with having a BMI over 35, mine is 38.9 at the min and type 2 diabetes, as i am now going back to Aintree loss soon and i want to ask to be pur forward for the op, i am aware of the risks etc as i've done my homework on the surgery, different types and the before and after, and the liquid only diet 2 weeks before the op etc.  I just want to know if given the fact i cannot exercise to help me lose and keep the weight off and fullfinlling the NICE guidelines would i be given the surgery.  I am taking a lot of medication at the moment which may lessen if i can get my weight down to the size i should be, not to mention help with the pain if i am not carrying the excess weight around.  It makes more sense to me that NHS give me the op and save themselves the money in the long run it will take to care for me, due to multiple problems with my health which could be drastically improved with weight loss.  Get me down to my ideal weight with the surgery, and as i have a restricted diet now through the diabetes keep it off, improve my overall health and pain, less spending on my long term care.

I do hope someone out there can give me some advice or if you have managed to get the surgery with having a co morbidity like type 2 diabetes.

Thanks everyone, wishing you all good health.

Sue

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.