Help with ankle swelling

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 7 weeks post fracture and 5 weeks post op. My friend that had broken his ankle years ago gave me a pair of TED hose.  I wore one on the affected leg and OMG I can't believe it, but my ankle is not swollen at the end of the day. I hope this helps someone else.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I found a compression sock helped with swelling but only as I developed a DVT post op but would advise anyone to check with their GP or surgeon before doing this as TED socks as I believe are used on the uninjured leg while immobile or for long haul flights. My injury was a Bimalleolar weber B fracture so now have 10 screws and a plate one side and screws the other side of the ankle. As of today I'm 12 weeks post surgery, FWB in an airboot and am allowed to walk at home without the boot but still have to wear it if I'm.outside. I started physio yesterday and will be a mad man with physio as it will in my mind decide the outcome of movement range and strength I'll get back. It's a hard road at times physically and mentally but do keep going as little improvements add up so we're all getting closer to our goal of getting back to normal. I wish everyone well on this road, there will be good days and hard days but stay strong and motivated as it really does help. 3 months of hard graft of physio then hopefully I'm done

• Posted

Hi John. I am 6 weeks post op, I had 3 screws/ no plate & only just been told to fwb, no mention of physio. They said yesterday at hospital that they will see me in 4 weeks & hopefully discharge me. I am really apprehensive though about fwb, but realise I need to do this. I admire your positivity, as it is really hard at times as you say, to stay focused. I'm hoping to go back to work in 4 weeks, provided that the hospital discharge me. I cant wait to be back to normal , doing all the daily tasks which normal people complain about. It certainly has been a reality check for me, as I'm normally really active 10 hours at work, then family life and a busy social life with my classic car club & meetings. I hope you achieve your goal soon. Good luck
    • Posted

FWB is a daunting part of this but the way I see it is that the healing is going well and you're ready to.progress. The will be some discomfort but it does get easier but as with all things don't over do it and listen to.your body when to stop. I've been.Doing.the physio which is peddle.pushes with a towel for resistance and to stretch the achilles. Also gently pulling.the ankle to get side to side movement and massage around.it as well. It's helped massively . Lots of stiffness seems to.have gone but a little trick is to get a cold tin of drink from the fridge, not from the freezer and with the bottom of the tin providing it's curved I was rubbing it around the swelling and it eased it loads in combo with massage. Hope it may help but take it easy. I'm.hoping orthopaedics discharge me Christmas eve like they said then.I'll finish the physio in 3 months. It's a waiting game but it's doable
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice & positivity John, I really do appreciate it. It helps, as the hospital have given me no support or mention about physio!

I have been rotating my foot in circular movements, left to right, then opposite, bending my foot as forward and back as it will allow. It has helped, but still find myself walking on the ball of my foot as i get pins & needle sensation if I put my foot flat when walking. I will try the cold can method, see if that helps me, as my foot is still swollen, also my leg!

Im hoping to be able to enjoy Christmas & start New year a fresh.

Its a long & dark road at times, as you no doubt already know, but hopefully we can heal and recover, and get back to our once normal lives again.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Psulusdw

My ankle broke on 28th August and physio wasn't mentioned until November 12th so 11 weeks after the operation I had if it helps with a timeline. Try and be patient, difficult I know, but you will get there When they mention physio to you and they probably will a few weeks after being FWB thats what happened in my case. I had pins and needles on the outside of my foot and the temperature on the bottom of my feet felt different when both feet were on the floor sitting on a chair. But it all comes back. The nerves, soft tissue damage take time, more than the broken bones I think. Lots of swelling on.the ankle and the foot but once you start.to.move around slowly but surely you will see and notice small improvements... And they all add up both physically and mentally. The physio assessed the range I had then has told me to go home and do physio 3 times a day. I tried some exercises before hand that I shouldn't have done and it bloody hurt!! Peddle.pushes should be ok but unless.you been told to rotate the ankle I'd hold off for now until you're told.you can.do this. Writing the alphabet is a very.good one, but do it gently and slowly and if it hurts too much... STOP!! Swelling is.normal and could last for another year or more the surgeon told me. When you go the hospital next write down everything you want to know and ask away. Wishing you a speedy and successful recovery..

You'll get there

• Posted

Sorry Psulusdw forgot to mention.. I was walking.like a duck trying to.hold a bowling ball between.my butt cheeks!! Trying to walk normally with all.the other thoughts and anxieties is tricky but I have looked at how the normal ankle/foot works and I'm doing my best to copy it if this makes sense. Try heal down first as you would with your good ankle. It will help and hopefully become easier. Don't come down hard on yourself sir. Been there done that and it doesn't help you. Concentrate on.yourself. The rest will take care of itself
    • Posted

Hi John. 

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate what you say regards physio, it's just that when they said to me that to " fwb & come back in 4 weeks, when we will look to discharging you"

i panicked, thinking that I wouldn't be getting physio but to be expected to return to work. It makes sense what you are saying, and all your symptoms are similar to mine, so it puts my mind at ease. I have written the alphabet as you suggest with no pain. I will write down questions for when I return to hospital. It's been really helpful for me to read your post and you have made good suggestions that I have taken on board.

Thanks again for your encouragement

• Posted

Hi Paul

Your mention.of discharge is exactly what my surgeon said and I thought similarly to you. Only difference I.think.is that I'd been FWB in an airboot for 2 weeks prior

Even though he's going to discharge you from orthopaedics doesn't mean you won't be pushed on to physio and ask for it I'd it's not offered but bet is is though

All the best looks like we got s race for Christmas on!!

• Posted

Hi John. I was told to pwb for 4 weeks, when I went last Thursday for check up I saw a different person who assumed that I had been fwb, and appeared surprised when I told him otherwise.

I will ask about physio, as I feel I may need some assistance to get me back on my feet again.

I sent my sick note in to head office to cover for 4 weeks, they are assuming that I will return to work when discharged from orthopaedics!

Ha ha. All the best to you, I'm glad that you are remaining positive, and have cheered me up in the process.

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.