Help with anxiety and depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys!

For the past few years I've been experiencing anxiety with some bouts of depression. Very recently I had a severe bout of depression which I think was heightened by taking the pill and other medication I was taking. My doctor diagnosed me with anxiety and depression and I've been taking antidepressants for a couple of weeks. My mood has lifted slightly and I am am much more able to cope with things than a couple of weeks ago. However I still have the feeling that everything in life is pointless and meaningless, and I really struggle with relaxing and simply enjoying myself, which I see as one of the symptoms of depression.

I wondered if anyone had any suggestion of what else I could do to help with this, and wondered if anyone had similar feelings and if they do or eventually will go away,

Thanks very much!

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, what anti depressant are you taking? I know this is hard at the moment sad
  • Posted

Hi 2 weeks isn't very long for it to get fully into your system so give it another month or so.   If it still isn't as effective as you need then maybe the dosage needs upping in which case go back and see your GP.  Or maybe another med would suit you better. 

Are you having any counselling?   If not that might help too.  x

• Posted

Hi all anti depressant's can take up to six weeks before they fully get into your system. Give them another month and if they aren't working as well go back.

Counselling or cbt might help as well x

• Posted

Hi, thanks for all the responses! I'm taking sertraline. Yeah I know it's not a lot of time at all so I should probably be a bit more patient! I just want a few ideas to help it along really, I think I'm trying to force myself to feel better as I don't really understand why I feel like this. I think I will give counselling a go too but I'm on a very long waiting list. Thanks again!
  • Posted

Im 4 weeks on 100mg setraline and was on 50mg setraline for about 3 weeks before that and I am same as you, although there is an improvement with the mood/depression, my anxiety and panic attacks are as bad as ever.

Did two sessions of councelling but didnt find councillor much good so im going to perhaps try another one.

Been doing weekly medidation and reiki which is helpful and taking vitamins.

I just really stugglinh this time to beat the anxiety

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.