Help with Blepharitis! starting high school need advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone, I just started highschool today and felt horrible because I was wearing an old pair of dorky glasses because of my left eye, is been really bothering me with my lower lash line being puffy and all the eye crusts, I do many sports so contacts are a must and I was wondering if I can wear makeup with blepharitus, I've never had any problems like this before! I've been doing the lid scrubs with a gotten swab and the warm compresses but any other advice to get rid of this !!!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi michelle

i have been using wet ones the light blue packet sensitive(uk) i started cleaning my eyes 4 times a day i found a good friend in Lynda79 and honjon on this site and now i only clean eyes twice a day!! I had been having bother since 2003/4 after washing eyes with baby shampoo and cooled boiled water i found a difference with in 1 day of using wet ones seek out Lynda79 and see her posts to get some tips and contact her she will be able to advise you better in case you are allergic to somethings i do hope  you find some relife for your eyesrolleyes  

• Posted

The Wet Ones have worked wonders for my eyes.  Lynda on this forum is the one who posted about them.They really work.
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, don't wear make up!  I am sure that stress will make it worse.

Why don't you get some new glasses if your old ones are 'dorky'?  The blepharitis could have been exacerbated by your lens solution, perhaps you need a different brand, with different ingredients.

I am not an advocate of wet ones.  I follow my Consultant's instructions, which are to use a drop of mild handwash in hot water, soak a flannel in this and put it on your eyes, leave till cool, then repeat.  I rarely have trouble with Blepharitis these days.  He told me not to use any creams etc near my eyes because it clogs the glands.

I used to wear contacts but haven't been able to for years.  Perhaps it is possible to get solutions that are preservative free now.  The preservatives in eye drops/solutions cause the problems.

Good luck Michelle

• Posted

Dear Michelle,

I was able to kill Blepharitis and still wear mascara.

If you are not allergic to shampoos, fabric softeners, hand wipes or spermicidal jellies or lanolin you can give WET ONES, antibacterial hand wipes a go.

A friend used a facial scrub with Benzethonium Chloride in it and killed her Blepharitis. I could not find that product with that in it as it was reformulated. I looked online to see what other products had Benzethonium Chloride in them and ended up using the WET ONES as had then in my house.

I tore each wipe into 8 sections and cleaned each eyelash area and lid margin 2

times for 4 times  day to start for the first week. I then went down to 3 times a day for a month. After that, it was 2 times a day for a couple of months. It bothered me once or twice after that and I just jumped on it with the wipes for a day or two and then it was gone.

After I killed it I found (actually started researching why) and found that Blepharitis can be caused by staphylococcus infection. These wipes have Benzethonium Chloride ( US ) and Benzalkonium Chloride (UK). These are called Quats and one of the things they kill is staphylococcus.

Honjon on this site used the UK wipes with Benzalkonium Chloride and had the same results.

To wear mascara I had to buy new  and used throw away wands, one for each eye. Never put a used wand into the mascara. I also used 2 wash cloths each time I washed my face or took off makeup so as to not reinfect my eyes.

Actually, saw that online from a doctor too.

Hope this information helps you.

Lynda79

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.