Help with Blood Tests after a few infections (Worried)

Posted , 3 users are following.

31 Year old male from the UK.

I have had a bit of a tough time with infections this year. Starting in Jan I had a chest infection (cough, creps, fever, aches) that didn't respond to amoxicillin so was given co-amoxaclav which cleared it up and got me feeling better.

A few weeks later I was hit with another fever and body aches. This time I was diagnosed with bacterial tonsillitis and given more antibiotics that cleared it up. I also had blood tests and a chest xray around this time. Since then I have had two more fevers with body ache but no other symptoms like cough or sore throat. Both of which have cleared up after a few days.

My results (taken when I had the tonsillitis) showed my WBC count at 12.7, neurophilia of 9.5, monocytes 1.3 and blood film showed neutrophilia.

My CRP was 11 when I had the chest infection and was up to 20 when I had the sore throat infection. My total protein has been raised for the past 16 years and never concerned Dr, it was 84 and my IGG was 20.7 and again this has been the case for the past 4 years.

That totals 5 fevers/aches/feeling rubbish in 3 months and I am really worried its a blood cancer. My Dr has emailed a haematologist for advice but assures me not to worry. The rest of my results are fine he says, not anaemic, RBC count fine etc.

Am I just unlucky with infections this year or does this indicate something worse?

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Your blood test results will go up and down if you have lots of infections. We are only in April and if all the infections you have suffered with have stopped, that would usually be a good sign. If you get your blood tested when you aren't feeling bad and your results come back bad, then you have to worry. I have had a number of bad viruses this year too, there have been a lot going around. The fact you are not anaemic is a good sign. When it comes to blood cancer, anaemia is something you have to watch for.

• Posted

thanks for the reply. i had a fever a few days ago but hopefully its nothing serious

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.