Immunology 

Anti-Thyroidperoxidase abs 54.8 kIU/L <34

Anti-Thyroglobulin. 79 kU/L <115

Vitamins 

Vitamin B12 692 pmol/L Deficient <140

Insufficient 140-250

Consider reducing dose >725

Serum Folate. 33.83 nmol/L 8.83 - 60.8

Please help. The free T4 and Anti-Thyroidperoxidase abs have been highlighted as high.

Linda

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda, you didn't ask a specific question. I assume you're feeling like crap and don't know why.

High antibodies you show indicate autoimmune disease, more likely Hashimoto's than Grave's since your TSH is not elevated. However, difficult to know since you didn't say whether you're on meds.

Your T4 levels are high, with T3 towards the low end. This indicates, you're most likely taking thyroid medication levothyroxin of some sort, as these medications are T4 only and have the effect of creating an unbalanced ratio of T4/T3. A non biological ratio of T4/T3 can result in hypo and hyper symptoms at the same time, as you're high for T4, and low for T3. Which really confuses the body. Unfortunately thyroid medication doesn't really address these imbalances, rendering them ineffective for many people, as they cause more harm than good. Levothyroxin is a synthetic thyroxin, and can worsen autoimmune thyroid disease, as the body can recognize it as foreign. This and other side effects should be listed on your medication info, if not, please check online for a full set of side effects.

The other less likely cause of low end T3 is lack of conversion, which happens primarily in the gut and liver. Worsening this is the possibility of side effects from levothyroxin, as it's known to cause a myriad of side effects including liver damage. 

You show high B12, meaning you're supplementing. I find it interesting that your levels are so high, as the body flushes out this water so,unable vitamin as needed. So either, you need this level of B12, or the body doesn't really flush as we think. Either way, there's an incorrect assumption here. I've never bothered looking much at my B tests, as they're always low, though no the mentioned by my docs. I've found injections and coblimated Bs helpful.  Note that coblimated Bs are more easily utilized by the body, as some people are unable to convert the typical vitamin supplement forms into a useable B. Coblimated Bs are available as supplements from good quality vitamin manufacturers. 

There are many posts here about thyroid blood levels and medications. Please read through them, as you'll find you aren't alone in your frustrations.

Hope my comments are helpful.

• Posted

Hello Carherine 

Thank you so much for your comments. Yes despite taking Levoythyroxine every day I still feel rubbish. I am taking between 125-150 mcg per day. My main symptoms are brain fog and depression. I am supplementing with B12 methylcobalamin, iron, Selinium and Magnesium. I'm trying my best to understand the thyroid and conversion etc but I find it difficult to retain information and concentrate which is another annoying symptom! I'm trying to self medicate as my doctor just says my results are within range and sends me on my way! I had to pay for the above test as he wouldn't test me for Reverse T3 and other vitamins. I know I don't handle stress very well and at the minute I am trying to figure out how to reduce my levels ..... I've heard cortisol is an important factor. Because my results show me I have hashimotos I'm constantly being faced with the prospect of having to go gluten free! All my research online tells me this? Is this really necessary? I just feel abandoned by my doctors. I've been told I have Hashimoto's but I haven't been given any guidance on how to manage it. 

Thank you

linda 

• Posted

Hi Linda, you're very welcome. Unfortunately, the medical approach for thyroid disease doesn't include prevention or management other than medication, radiation and surgery. Fortunately, there is help out there!

The gluten free is extremely important, especially if you live in the US, because of the practices with farming. The reason for the GF diet is to reduce the load on your immune system. Wheat and other gluten containing products can trigger the immune system, worsening autoimmmune disease, particularly for certain types of cells, including gut, thyroid, brain, and lung, because these cell express surface proteins similar to the gluten protein. The gluten triggers the immune system against gluten, but the immune system mistakes your own cells for another gluten substance because of these surface proteins and you wind up with your immune system attacking your own body and worsening autoimmune disease. For people with celiacs, the colon cancer rate is something like 30 times more likely. So if you have gluten sensitivity, which you do if you have thyroid disease, you will feel much better off the wheat. I can tell you, when I first heard of the whole gluten thing, I really thought it was just another ridiculous trend. But after two weeks eating at home, I felt so much better. Then at the two weeks, I tried my hand at gf dining out, and 6 hours later was sick as can be. GF is not easy and most venues and food manufacturers don't do it properly. Even the allowable meds amounts in GF foods sold in the use are enough to trigger the immune system.  For this reason, I shy away from GF foods unless they are manufactured in a GF facility by a company who's goal is truly healthy eating. The best thing is to learn to cook without grains, but you'll have to use the go foods to wean yourself off your current lifestyle of high grain eating.

Yea, the adrenal thing is very important. When I started the levo, it actually reduced my ability to cope with stress. You may want to keep a log on your stress levels and coping capacity to see if the meds make it worse. When the thyroid levels are wonky, the body reacts by adjesting adrenaline and cortisol levels as a backup way to regulate energy levels. For the body, this is somewhat of a safety mechanism so that vital functions are maintained.  However, prolonged hypothyroidism can lead to adrenal exhaustion, followed by early onset menopause because the adrenal she produce the precursors to the hormones produced by the ovaries and other sex organs. So with your thyroid out of whack, you're in for total system failure. This is why people scream for medications, diagnosis and treatment. Unfortunately there is no bioidentical treatment, so all traditional thyroid treatment offers less than desired results. 

Since you're feeling like rubbish on the levothyroxin, I feel I should offer some words of wisdom, that this drug did not work for me at any dose, and is extremely harmful, more so with prolonged use and higher doses. My experience was that it's a placebo with horrible side effects including 4 different types of cancer, thyroid disease, and many other autoimmune diseases. Clinical case studies show this drug can cause liver lesions in healthy patients at the lowest dose after only one month. I was so desperate when I tried this drug, I wish I hadn't given in to that desperation because I really feel it did irreparable damage.

I found a book that was very helpful in dealing with all the effects of thyroid disease. I'll send you a PM.

• Posted

Hi Linda, please feel free to send me a private message. Just click on my screen name and select message.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.