Help with employment & support allowance

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I had a letter today from ESA saying i wasn't entitled to it because i hadn't paid, or been credited with enough National Insurance Contributions. They used tax years ending 5 April 2015-5 April 2016. During this time i was in receipt of ESA so obviously my NIC were paid by them. I was told to ring the HMRC to find out if there were any gaps in paying NIC. They said there were no gaps whatsoever all the way from 1994 (aged 16) to present. They said they don't understand why ESA are saying i haven't paid enough contributions during April 2015-16 because my NIC during that time was paid by ESA! They said that they would send confirmation of this to me via post, so i can send it on to ESA. Any explanation or advice would be gratefully appreciated

1 like, 4 replies


4 Replies

  • Posted

    Do you live on your own?  If so then you can claim income based ESA anyway.  If not and there is any other money coming into the household or you have savings more than the limit then it will have to be contribution based benefit only.  x



Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up