Help with ESA medical

Posted , 3 users are following.

2 years ago I had a health care check for PIP, I have macular degeneration, glaucoma, Charles Bonnet syndrome, and cataracts that are a bit risky to get rid of due to a very thin retina, I am also highly myopic. My driving licence was revoked by the DVLA years ago due to my ailing sight. I have spondylitis of the neck and spine, disc degenerative disease of both and generalised osteoporosis arthritis, and spend all my time in bad pain. I also have sensory neuropathy of the feet due to diabetes, but I was awarded the enhanced rate of both levels, and my Daughter is my carer. Now I have had a letter to say I have to have a meeting with another health care official for ESA to see whether I can work??? Has anyone else had this?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mo,

It's an assessment for ESA similar too PIP but very different criteria. Are you in one of the groups for ESA at the moment? Or is this your first assessment for ESA? They basically ask you questions about your condition and decide whether you're fir to do any kind of work. If you're not currently in one of the groups WRAG or Support Group then this will decide which one if any to put you in. If you're found fit to work (crazy i know for some of us) you'll need to apply for JSA. Good luck.

If you google ESA assessment there should be plenty of info about it.

• Posted

Thank you for answering, I am in the support group that I can't work (sorry get them mixed up) and have been for over 6 years, I had my dla stopped suddenly 3 years ago, I appealed and got a terrible "judge", who basically said in his report for turning me down that "macular degeneration and glaucoma are not considered as serious conditions", I was armed with medical evidence, mri, x rays, electrodiagnostic tests on my eyes, but some of the stuff written was terrible, and to be honest I fell apart. All of my conditions are degenerative and I hate what I have become. But encouraged by the RNIB I applied for PIP and was successfull, and now I have to go for another assessment, the government goes on about saving money, and yet this kind of thing is going on. Thank you again for replying.

• Posted

I know it's unfair but those claiming ESA and PIP will be reassessed regular. They are both totally different benefits with different criteria. Those currently claiming PIP will be reviewed 1 year before their award is due to end. Have you been given a date for your ESA assessment? Evidence is the key and plenty of it if you have it. You can take it to the assessment with you if you haven't already sent it to DWP. I've also been in the support group for 3 years and recently filled out another ESA50 form. Luckily this time i didn't have to go for an assessment and they've kept me in Support Group with a paper based decision. Good luck x

• Posted

I did send loads of medical stuff to support my claim, which they haven't sent back. I have been given a date the 22nd of December, but as I am totally reliant on lifts I am unable to attend, I have rang and told them this and I was told to ring back in a week. I might get my Daughter to write a letter for me and send it recorded delivery. Thanks very much for replying.

• Posted

They almost never return the evidence to you. Always make copies to send them. If i were you i'd ring them again. If they don't get that letter you send and you miss your appointment your money will stop. These assessment centres are just so annoying. Good luck.

• Posted

22 December is not that far away.  If I were you I would ring ASAP and ask if they can do a home assessment.  Explain that you have multiple problems  and travelling is very difficult for you - tell them you get enhanced rate of both PIP components, and if you can, ask your GP for a letter to support this.

If you have been in the ESA support group until now, this will most likely be a scheduled review and if your condition hasn't changed for the better, then hopefully nothing will change.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.