Help with Holter Results

Posted , 7 users are following.

2 Week Holter

I recently received my 2 week Holter results. 

The Dr. said everything looked completely normal and read over the report with me.

There were a bunch of terms I didn't understand with normal or none noted such as runs sustained, dispersion etc.

However it was noted there was extremely limited isolated (those exact words) PACs and 1 ventricular event (couplet). It was noted that the events did not line up with my diary or symptoms.

So in my mind what I have been feeling are PACs or are not cardiac related - however coincidentally the monitor has picked up a ventricular couplet during the 2 weeks - is this dangerous?

On one hand I feel relieved as my palpitations are looking to either not be caused by my heart or are benign PACs or some combination of the 2 - however the couplet has me almost as worried as before...

Thoughts?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi! 

Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are beats which are initiated in the ventricles or lower chambers of the heart, prematurely. ... PVCs may occur singly or in pairs (generally referred to as couplets), every other beat (bigeminy) or interpolated and may also be described as multiform. So a couplet just means two PVCs. If your doctor said that’s normal, I would trust them. Or get. A second opinion.  I have the same thing. I barely notice them anymore.  What really eased my mind is getting a heart echo done. This will tell them if everything is structurally ok with the heart. After I go the echo and it came back normal, I felt so much better. Remember if there was something very wrong with your heart, you and the docs would know ASAP! 

• Posted

I am mostly concerned about the couplet. There is really nothing I can find about the significance of a single couplet over 14 days with no other ventricular ectopic in a young normal heart. The closest I could find was in teenagers with ~50 a day who had no adverse prognosis. 

To be honest I was convinced I was having dozens of pvcs a day so isolated PACs not lining up with my symptoms sent me for a loop as well. 

• Posted

I'm still learning about this the hard way too, but just because some doctor tells you it's nothing, does not mean you aren't suffering real symptoms.  

?Apparently there are aspects of these arrhythmias that are just not caught very well by the equipment.  That's all I can conclude.

• Posted

To be clear they’ve didn’t say it’s nothing. They said it was nothing to be concerned about. In any case I am going back in a month as I am also starting something to deal with my anxiety which is a real issue.  - I realized now I may have also read the report wrong and it was either a typo or it was an s ventricular couplet. Which may make more sense if I am getting PACs. 
  • Posted

Hi, you do not have any reason to worry with a report like that. A couplet is nothing but 2 pvcs in a row. Nothing bad there. Everybody,gets singles, doubles ,triplets ... and more and still be normal! Those were great results! I am jealous as so many would be. Go out and live your life. Nothing of worry there. I am surprised your Dr. Did not tell you that! Shame on him. PACs etc .. are all mostly nothing. Mine never connected with what I pushed the button for either. If you are anxious about your heart everything you feel , seems like it is from there. Could stomach.. other stuff! Please, go breathe and live, Take care , Mabel
  • Posted

Your 'couplets', presumably  are  one normal beat followed by an Ectopic beat.I have had whole runs of this rhythm  (the ectopics being ventricular ) and the drs say there is nothing to be done. When I'm having this arrhythmia I feel short of breath and tired .Its a horrible feeling but the docs are not impressed!! You are lucky to have only an occasional one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.