help with housing benefit when on p.i.p

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been awarded the standard rate of p.i.p,when i asked the housing about if i was now entittled to any other help they said itvwas means tested,as my husband works full time is it worth me applying or do you have to be earning a low wage to qualify for help.i know one of you clever people out there will probably know what the threshold for this is.

Thankyou x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

PIP is not "means tested" - but if you claim ESA, it could affect your PIP, in some cases you can lose the whole award, whether you wish to take that risk is really up to you. If it took you awhile to actually get PIP, and the award is high then I personally would not bother.

If you claim ESA it is "means tested", therefore it can be calculated as an income and you would be liable to pay tax on it. The Tax threshold varies if you and married, but this is changing from next April, you can type in to Google Marriage Tax Threshold Limit 2015 and look for the gov website, which is always current.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi les,my query was about getting help with housing benefit when awarded p.i.p but my husband works ,i can no longer work due to my health i dont know what the cut off is for getting help with housing when on p.i.p

many thanks

sharon

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

Sorry, I mis-read your question.

ESA is a "means tested" benefit (I say this, but in certain situations this can be not classed as a not "means-tested" benefit - but this only affects people claiming Invalidity Benefit before 1995).

In most cases ESA would be classed as an income.

If your husband claims PIP, he can in exceptional circumstances also work, but his PIP would be looked at again depending on the type of job he is able to do. Normally, this is where your PIP is stopped - unless there is something your husband cannot do, in most cases this would mean he would lose the Mobility side and part of Care component.

Regrads,

Les.

• Posted

My understanding is that DLA and PIP are not means tested. Therefore you should be able to get Housing Benefit as well.

I have been getting Housing Benefit and DLA for years. When I was assessed for Housing Benefit I told them i was getting DLA but they did not count that as part of my income.

Your situation may be diferent because your husband works but I am single.

Sarah

• Posted

Still confused. Your first post says your husband works full time. Now you say he does not. I am not beeing nosy but this could have a real bearing on the situation and you need to be clear.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi sarah now im confused when did i say my husband doesnt work im getting confused myself now lol he does work thats why im not sure if i would get help with housing just coz im on pip ive gone over messages but cant find where you have seen it hun xx
    • Posted

Oh sorry to confuse you. It was another post who said their husband did not work. Read sammy jo. I think she realised she was responding to wrong person and then sent another messasge oops sorry wrong one.

Sorry again. It does get confusing when several people are taking part in these discussions and you need to be sure you are saying the right thing to the right person. Me that needs brain surgery !!!

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.