Help with husband type 2 Diabetes

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, My husband has had type 2 diabetes for a few years he is nearly 69. Firstly just diet, then metformin dose increased after initial dose. He has recently had more bloods done and now the gp has added Gliclazide 80mg in the morning.  The gp just rang and explained and left out a prescription.  I am no stranger to diabetes as our son was diagnosed with type 1 age 2 in 1974.  At that time my husband although he helped would not learn about the condition as I tried to do.  He is the same now just not interested and thinks he can just take the tablets and get on with life.  My questions are as gliclazide can cause hypos should he not be testing his blood sugar level and what about inbetween meal snacks.  The gp did not mention anything when they spoke.  What do you think.  I know he will no want to do tests and probably say I am over reacting.  I try with his diet but he is not good at trying new things.  The other thing is alcohol now more important because of the risk of hypos.  I have suggested he stop drinking at leat until he know how this new tablet affects him.  I am sure he will take m uch notice though.  I have enough to deal with as I too have health problems and family problems.  He also has arthritis and prostate problems.  I am very worried but there is only so much I can do.  Just always accused of nagging which I probably do.  I am not expecting him to be 100% perfect diabetic just to be interested and try would by a start.

Any one suggest anything.  Thanks for reading this.

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Please tell him to become informed. My father did the same thing....took his pills, and lived like he wanted to. Ended up being a double amputee and died at age 63. All of that could have been prevented had he listened.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.