help with librium

Posted , 3 users are following.

So im on librium for alcohol withdrawal. Just wanted to see how many a day.should I.take. I went.to the hospital yesterday cause apparently librium.wasn't doing anything. They put my on a Iv banana bag.and.gave.ativan but they couldn't prescribe any to take home.and just to take the librium because that's a good medicine for alcohol withdrawal been taking again early.this morning at 4am and then b complex vitamin at 7am. Am I.doing this right?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am sorry you are having  a hard time their is a guy in here called Paul  Turner 1964  I think is user name is if you post to him directly  on here I am sure he will help you as he does home detoxes  and no all about meds good luck
  • Posted

No, you are not doing it right at all Michael, but that is NOT your fault. I can't believe that they have sent you off with no advice.

I would be on dodgy ground telling YOU what to take because I don't know you and haven't seen and examined you.

What I will say is this:

An average person having an alcohol detox will normally suffer no withdrawal symptoms if they follow this Chlordiazepoxide (Librium) regime:

Day 1 - 20mg  20mg  20mg  20mg

Day 2 - 20mg  20mg  20mg  20mg

Day 3 - 20mg  10mg  20mg  20mg

Day 4 - 10mg  10mg  10mg  20mg

Day 5 - 10mg         10mg      10mg

Day 6 - 10mg      -          -      10mg

Day 7 - 10mg      -          -          -

Please do not exceed any doses that you have been told to take by the Dr that prescribed it for you. If the doses they told you to take are lower, contact them again before taking any more. That is simply a standard detox regime which doesn't work for all people as some need more and some need less.

I need to repeat, I am not telling YOU to take those doses, simply outlining a general detox plan. You will find similar things on various websites.

• Posted

Yeah I have the 25mg. I started the.regime again this morning since this is an old librium that I had from a previous detox. The way I was planning to do.it was to take one every 8 hours. I just took the second one five minutes ago right before receiving.your email. And then again at 8. So im going.to take it every eight.hours for today and tomorrow and then slowly wein off. Is that a good way of doing it. My alcohol withdrawal is.not as severe its just anxiety and some fatigue and some sweating. I've been.eating and drinking fluids and like water and sports drink.
    • Posted

It sounds like you are doing OK Michael. I would normally use 4 doses a day. The thing is, if you only have 25mg capsules, it is a little more difficult to reduce, so you will have to increase the time between doses rather than reducing the dose.

Insomnia will disappear just by the fact that you are not drinking.

As long as you have no shakiness, you sound like you will be fine. Try not to take the Librium for more than a few days or you would then find it hard to get off those. I would normally do a detox over 7 days. By Day 3, you will be likely to be most tired from the Librium (as it has a half life of 48 hours and builds up in your body) but by Day 3, you should also be over the worst of any alcohol withdrawal symptoms.

• Posted

Awesome! You've been great help. Just took my last librium for tonight. Hopefully night.would be a.little better. I'll do the same.thing I did today and on the third day I will increase the time between taking medication. Thanks again! If.anything I'll write you if I have any problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.