Help with male self catheterisation

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been self cathing for 8 weeks and will have to continue for the rest of my life due to non-functioning bladder.  After many attempts, I have finally settled on using Speedicaths.  I have never seen my exact problem listed  in any discussion group.  Usually have no big issues with the actual cathing but often nearly an hour or two later, I feel a "burning" or a feeling like something is "stuck" in my penis.  This can be very bothersome.  Anyone out there have a suggestion or the same problem?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tom , I am 73 yrs old I have had UTI off and on all year the first lot of antibiotics and second were not strong enough and have been to see urologist and he put me on to Doxazosin  in to open the pee tube up    but that makes me dizzy and had a fall two meters backward  and landed on bum very heavily that didn't help and .Last Tuesday I developed a massive blood clot D V T  in my leg  from my big toe  to deep in my groin so off to ultrosound nurse she tryed to contact my GP but couldn't so she gave me a letter to E D so off to  Hospital I told them about down below so we had a urine test done The results where Klebsiella pneumoniae resistant to amoxicillin and other antibiotics so that will be why I have had troble all winter trying to  pee and iI stand there and push it takes me two or three minutes to pee and its hot and hurts burning feeling on   the bottom of the shaft So hopefully the Augmentin a course of 5 days will clear it up again  Dr tried to do a  flow test in toilet but my bladder felt full but only a small amount came out and they put a ultrosound over my bladder and it's sitll 1/2  full  So I Hope it all clears up as its taken all year to fine out the problem and all that unwanted pain Merry Xmas  David 49122 NZ

• Posted

Hi Tom80266. I am also new to self-cathing and will have to self-cath for the rest of my life. I'm a female but I have a couple thoughts. First, have you been tested for a UTI? That could explain the burning, sticking feelings. I would first get that checked out. Self-cathing puts you at a much higher risk for UTIs. 

Secondly, I was recently speaking to an RN who was extremely knowledgeable about self-cathing. We were discussing UTIs and she said that often her  patients would think they were suffering from a UTI but the stinging sensation was actually from making small tears to the urethra. 

Since both men and women who self-cath are repeatedly pushing and pulling something through their urethra, it would make sense that delicate area could easily tear. I don't know, I hope that helps. I would go and get tested for a UTI though. I hope the self-cathing gets easier for you. It's getting easier for me but it's definitely not fun!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.