Help with mri resukts

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi just looking for anyone with knowledge on this subject. I have recently found out I have severe scoliosis. I had an MRI scan of my whole spine.It showed disc degeneration of the cervical and lumbar spine. Not really sure what this means. Anyone have similar results????

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The Cervical spine is the part at the back of your neck area, then comes the Thoracic and then the Lumbar which is where your back curves in and out.

When I first got diagnosed I was told similar to yourself, but upon asking I was told it's wear and tear on the spine as we grow older and is normal.

Well with the pain I had and my age at the time, I thought it can't be normal, so more tests and the degeneration wasn't normal it was quite severe as found I had Kyphosis and later found that I had been born with it.

If you have severe scoliosis, realistically degeneration of your discs in your spine should have shown up long before, so am unsure as to what your medical team are doing, but anyway, hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply. The scoliosis was only found in July after a chest X Ray for something else. I wasn't having any pains then. They only started a few months ago. Which makes me think it's not due to that. I'm 36 so not sure what they will do. Still waiting on seeing orthopedics.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

Since you are in your 30's and your skeleton is done growing, depending on the severity of your scoliosis you still may be able to correct it to some degree, however to truly make this suggestion a clinician would need to review your xray or MRI images.

There are various techniques which can be utilized to manage scoliosis in adults including various exercises and postural corrections to prevent worsening of the curve over time or degeneration of the spine due to gravity's effects (over time) when the spine is in an incorrect posture/position.

Schroth therapy is an older method which can be utilized in adults:

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.