Help with my new labs

Posted , 3 users are following.

i was diagnosed hypo in November of 2015, put on 25 mcg of levo and my labs have been in range for almost 3 years, I just had them done and my tsh w/reflex to Ft4 is now 6.13. (In the past was 4.39, 4.03, 4.49) going to the doc next week and will be discussing this.  Question is this just the progression this takes? Will i need a med change? Also recently saw a post on here about taking vitamins before testing, I take a multi vitamin and I take biotin, lysine, and glucosamine supplements.  I saw not to take them 24 hours before testing and I had no idea about that.  Should I ask the doc if I can re-do the bloodwork after not taking the supplements a day or two?? And see if I’m back in range.  I am not symptomatic never really was and I’m also still pre menopausal at 53 as I’m still getting periods, so do hormones affect numbers also? Thankyou in advance for any help or suggestions. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there!

Yes biotin can affect your tsh results - as they use biotin in the testing. I've read up quite a bit - as I have been tested for hypothyroidism and was told I was in the normal range - I actually took the tablet on the day of my test and was totally unaware - lucky to have a good GP who has re-tested (and I am waiting for results) Sometimes readings come out high - sometimes too low. Some people have been treated for thyroid problems when they didn't have them! I stayed off my vits after finding out. Biotin is supposed to be out of your system 2-24 hours after taking - though most people say it's best to stop taking them 3 days before to be certain. Hope that helps!

• Posted

Thankyou, the nurse called me today to tell me he upped my levo from 25 mcg to 50 and I said “i know the pharmacy already called and I saw the note on line in my chart, however I need to discuss this with him on tuesday as Ive been taking biotin and just learned it can affect your tsh numbers” she responds with “biotin?” I said “yes its a supplement, helps skin and nails” she says “well he already sent over a script” I said “yes like i said I want to be retested and I will discuss it with him on tuesday” Ughh. My numbers has been in range for 3 years and the only difference right now is the biotin so I feel based on all the articles on line I want to be re-tested before changing dosage.  He better agree with me or Ill pitch a huge fit.  
    • Posted

Turns out my tsh re-test is still 'normal' - so no treatment for me.Problems here are getting a full thyroid test instead of just tsh readings only. Very frustrating!

• Posted

Usually TSH is falsely suppressed or lowered from BIOTIN. Just retest and let us know.itll. be informative. It's not just thyroid tests.its 100s of other lab tests where Biotin.is used.

• Posted

So you retested normal ....what was it? Not good to.just use a TSH test. TSH can be faulty on its own. for dosing.
    • Posted

I went from 3.37 to 3.38 - so not enough change for anything to be done. I am waiting for an ultrasound though - as I have an enlarged nodule - get a lot of sore throats and my voice isn't what it used to be. Used to sing a few years back - now I can managed about 4 songs and I start to lose my voice - lucky I didn't give up the day job!

• Posted

Doc agreed to re-test after he did some research himself on Biotin, he wants to wait 6 weeks though, i stopped biotin and he says to stop my multi vitamin too for now.  I’m hesitant on that cuz I know some minerals etc help with thyroid.  He says if you are eating a healthy diet you should not need them so stop and see how you feel.  So I’ll let you all know what happens when I re test mid July.  He also asked how I’m feeling and says he goes by not just what test results say he goes by what our bodies are saying so how am I feeling? Andy changes? Etc. 
  • Posted

How can he say we get vits/minerals from foods? Maybe decades ago when the soil wasn't as depleted. Why are ppl depleted in many vitamins/minerals? At least he asks how you are feeling...big deal. Thought you already retested TSH. Theres no reason to stop your vits for so long. With TSH around 6 you do need an increase. You want to lower inflammation from antibodies and hv optimal Free Ts. They lowered upper limit to 3 in USA there are reasons for that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.