Help with my partners non stop Sciatica.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm posting on behalf of my partner, he's 30 years old from the UK and around 5-6 years ago he slipped a disc after sneezing. I should probably mention that he is 6 foot 8, if that makes a difference with spinal injuries I'm not sure. But after he slipped his disc he developed very severe sciatica for about a year and a bit until it eased off and he thought it was fine.

About 6 months after we started a relationship it flared up again and for the past 2 years it's been nearly non stop. We've seen numerous doctors about it but it never seems to get taken very seriously. He's currently been waiting 4 months for an MRI scan to follow up on his one from 2011 but the emotional side to the sciatica is proving too much for us to handle.

He's had to quit work, I only work two nights a week in a local restaurant and we both live with his parents. He's becoming very withdrawn and it seems like he's given up. He has no hope or faith in getting better and he genuinely feels as if we're never going to have a normal life. "How can we look after a baby if I can't even look after myself" he said to me the other day.

We're getting to the stage in our relationship where we want to settle down, get our own house and have children but as he said. Is it possible?

I guess I'm just really looking for a little advice and perhaps some assurance that we could have that life from people who have lived it themselves? Also, i really want to make sure that I'm doing as much as I possibly can for him and some advice on what did you want mostfrom your partner while you where suffering from sciatica?

Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steph,

Is your other half doing any physiotherapy, there are a bunch of stretches that may help although it is a very slow process. I'm quite new to all this after suffering a large L5/S1 herniation, but the stretches and core building gave me the feeling I was doing something to help, think this was part mental as well as physical - but after a period of 3 months, my Sciatica is cleared up although I have various issues still left due to the herniation.

I'm based in London and had to go private for the physio as NHS takes way too long. If finance is an issue, maybe see someone private but limit it to once a month while doing the prescribed work at home.

As a partner once this routine is set, you can help in ensuring things are done each day and this support will be invaluable (even though you may not get the gratitude as it is difficult when you are in pain)

From my own experience, I know I became withdrawn and this does not help.

All the best

Jay

• Posted

Hi Steph,

I fully understand the pain and feelings that your partner is going through. I have had surgery twice and I'm currently suffering with severe sciatica for a third time now. The other night I couldn't sleep, I couldn't lie down, I couldn't sit down, it was painful to stand, I spent the night pacing the floor, I felt so low.

I kept pestering the doctors and I'm hopefully now on the correct combination of painkillers that make it bearable, it might be different in England, but in Scotland, the next step is a physio referral and they decide if a scan is required, I'm at physio next week. I want to get off the pain killers as soon as possible, but with the pain, I need them just now. I'm currently taking Gabapentin and Tramadol and it is making a difference.

If the sciatica is going to relieve itself, it's usually within 6-8 weeks, the length of time your partner has been suffering suggests that surgery may be required. I had both my previous operations privately as the waiting times on the NHS were very long, I didn't have insurance and had to pay for these and it's not cheap, but it does give you your life back. I'm hoping I don't require further surgery.

I really hope things improve for you guys, get onto your doctor, demand physio or a referral to a consultant, you shouldn't have to go on like this.

Take Care

Dave

• Posted

Hello Stephanie

Sure you guys are really passing through a difficult moment in your relationship due to this longstanding problem. But I’m sure this can be over if you use the [product name removed by moderator] traction bed system and a therapy mat for intensive traction treatment.

At first, the system was designed to stretch the spinal column. The passing years, however, revealed additional positive effects. The continuously involved ribs produce not only the traction force but lead to an active massage of the connective tissue, to support and maintenance of inherent body rhythms, to improvement of the biomechanics, increase in lung volumes, controlled inter- organic information and deeper sleep, just to mention a few.

The most important results of [product name removed by moderator] system as follows:

·         Increasing the intervertebral space;

·         Reducing stress muscles and ligaments;

·         Reducing the pressure on the nerve endings due to the increase intervertebral space;

·         At displacement of the vertebrae and prolapse (prolapse) discs is possible to normalize the anatomical structure;

·         Expansion of the intervertebral spacing causes a reduction or elimination of compression of the nerve endings and the improvement of local blood circulation;

·         Not limited to the duration of its application. Continuous unloading leads to the improvement of the circulation of fluid in the tissues of the intervertebral discs;

More to that the system is a noninvasive procedure, it is completely affordable and your completely relieved of your symptoms after some few weeks of usage.

Try that out and I’m sure you guys would have a normal live back again.

Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi stephanie

Thats my life you just wrote have been like this for a year going back n forth to doctors for pain relief and diazepam ,

Have slowly gotten worse as month's gone by ,dont leave my house ,cant lay down , cant sit ,cant stand all without severe agony at low of back,

Can now barely look after myself ,

I live in the uk ,finally managed to get a scan after months and after waiting weeks for appointment for results went on tuesday to be told need immediate surgery decompression on L4/5

So waiting for call to go in ,

I just pray that it helps me out of this pain as I can no longer walk,, I want my life back ,i feel like.im in hell !!!.

I hope your partner gets his scan just keep going back to drs like I did ..

Its an awful place to be in ,and as for you doin anything more , youre doing fantastic by supporting him and being on here looking for help well done your partner is very lucky

..my partner left !! Couldnt cope said it was to depressing to be around and boring as I couldn't get out ,like I said try wearing these shoes and then see what.you would feel ..

I wish you all the best ..

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

Just read your post about your tall 6'8 partner which suggests to me that being above average may be the key to his back issue, if its still ongoing I wonder if hydrotherapy has been explored? the pools for this are usually very warm which helps relax all muscles (and the mind), he will need one to one with a therapist who fully understands his history and the extra pressure on the back generated with taller people-the taller one is the greater the pressure when one bends the spine rather than the knees!

Terry

Terry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.