HELP WITH NEXT STEPS PLEASE

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I will try to shorten this as much as possible! Diagnosed (via blood test) with glandular fever (Epstein Barr) April 2017 and generally been unwell ever since. My neck still swells weekly, along with my arms and eyes. Tiredness, blurred vision, nightsweats, racing heart..... GP did some general blood tests and all were fine apart from low neutrophils... which are meant to be a much higher level in order to fight infections! Anyway he’s going slow and no idea..... so I paid for a private Elisa test for Lyme disease. 

Results show equivocal for IGM Borrelia burgdorferi, But a score of 5 for IGG. They have suggested I now have a weston blot. 

I am just wondering other people’s experiences? If I go to my GP with this, will he scoff and say it’s not high enough? Or is any score evidence? I did read it’s hard to get false positives with IGG. Any info greatly appreciated......

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I was too struggling with lot of anxiety regarding whether i have lyme or not. I had 2 negative elisas year apart and I was also diagnosed with ebv at the start of my problems. 

Just want to say that low neutrophils are common with heavy viral infections like mono and I had it as well. Also even though, elisa accuracy is always promoted as poor, its not really true. In established lyme infections (arthritis/heart infection/neuroboreliosis) the accuracy is over 90%. Also, if you had it a year ago, IGM valua is irrelevant because it would have already fallen long time ago and would have been replaced by igg antibodies. 

Personally, I have found that My EBV antibodies were increasinh over time while lyme antibodies stayed the same. I have had problems with ebv for 2 years and i think its just that.

Just wanted to save uou some anxiety

• Posted

Laura:

After receiving antibiotics it could take a while to get full results. If after a few months she still has symptoms I would get more aggressive treatments.

Laura

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.