Help with orilstat please :(

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I suffer from mental illness which requires me to take anti depressants & anti psychotics. I have tried for about 3 years to lose weight but there was never any substantial progess to brag about.

I am unable to work due to the reasons above, and i am bed bound everyday until about 2pm due to the anti psychotic medication and also not ever able to do much exercise.

about a month ago i had a new GP

I was given

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Ignore the first post i accidently pressed the enter button!

Hi all

I suffer from mental illness which requires me to take anti depressants & anti psychotics. I have tried for about 3 years to lose weight but there was never any substantial progess to brag about.

I am unable to work due to the reasons above, and i am bed bound everyday until about 2pm due to the anti psychotic medication and also not ever able to do much exercise.

about a month ago i had a new GP who gave me orilstat to help with the weight gain from the other medication. I lost a few pounds but went back into comfort eating again and gained it back, ive lost a couple pounds again but ive gone back into comfort eating.

I really need some help, my comfort eating is making me feel very low and i need some advice how to take these meds, what foods to avoid, how many calories a day to eat, etc. I am desperate for some advice and encouragment from people who suffer with weight issues like myself sad

Thanks in advance to any one that answers this.

Josh

• Posted

Hello Josh

We are all here for the same reason I suffer depression which leads me to binge eat only to later regret it once I gain weight. I have battled with my weight since 13 now 28 my dr has decided to give me a try on orlistat, so I have been on 1500 Calories for the last three days and have taken orlistat with each meal in three days I've lost 4lbs, as I'm very new to orlistat I don't know much about the diet however reading other discissions on the thread has made me aware that you need to stick to food that contains no more than 5gram of fat per 100grams and that we need to be eating no more than 45 grams of fat per day, each meal should consist of around 15grams of fat, I will post you an example of what I've been having to get an idea of what kind of things we can eat hope that helps, also a lot of people I have spoken to say they are doing orlistat in combination with weight watchers or slimming world so maybe you could try weight watchers online.

Breakfast

Hazel Nut Special K

Cup of tea with semi skinned milk

Mid morning Snack

Fruit and fat free yoghurt

Lunch grilled chicken and salad

Afternoon snack

Sugar free jelly

Kiwi

Dinner

Small lean steak with salad

Dessert

Any Weight watchers dessert

Hope this helps xx

• Posted

Me again I also forgot to say there's a free phone app called my fitness pal which helps track calories I use it to make sure I'm sticking to my 1500 calories a day it's very easy to use and it's free x
    • Posted

Thank you so much for yoru response Bellaboo28, i will keep this page bookmarked so i can look back it at it and hopefully read any other responses people give.

thanks again x

• Posted

Hi joshluck95

I like your self suffer from mental illness ( emotionally unstable personality disorder and bipolar ) I gained 8stone from my medication and comfort eat a lot. But these tables are really helping! I've lost 2 stone in 3 months they helped with my mental health too as my weight comes off my moods change.

Good luck x

• Posted

thanks for the response, thats really good news, if you dont mind me asking, how many calories a day do you now eat while taking orilstat? do you still comfort eat at all? if not, how do you stop the temptations?

thanks xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.