HELP WITH PAIN

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, i posted on here a while ago as i beleive i may have this conditon, but the last few nights it has been a lot worse with the pain, i havent slept for three nights, the pain seems worse when i get into bed, my legs, arms, neck my whole body is in pain, i take Gabepentin along with co-codomol, and ibruphonen as i am being treated for fibro, but for years my ESR levels and CRP have been extremely high and to be honest my GP hasnt done much about it, i was there the other week and my potassium is now high and has been repeated and i go back tomorrow for the results, he has refered me to a Rhemotoligist but that is not until March. I dont know if it is the cold wheather that affects my condition and think i am also starting the menopause. I also feel very bloated and puffy.

But I really cannot cope with this pain any more and dont know if it is PMR or Fibro or can you get a combination of both?

Is there anything I should ask my GP if i can start or try.

I really am at my wits end with this pain and trying to work after having no sleep at all.

Man thanks x

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Many thanks all you wonderfull people for the advice.

I went back to my gp, he said he will try and get my rhemo appt a bit quicker but not hopeful, i have had tremendous pain this week, neck, arms, chest and back, taking every painkiller i have but not moving it at all, was even tempted to go to a/e last night as the pain in my chest worried me.

Today feels like the aftermath of the pain during the night, like every muscle hurts, my gp didnt want to start me on the pred said have to see the rhemo, i just dont know what else to do, the thought of carrying on for another 12 weeks like this is depression.

• Posted

Hello Lindsay, how awful for you. I agree with Eileen and co...if it suits you pay for a private appt and then at least you'll hopefully get started on the right meds before being referred to nhs.

I did this but as I have one of those private policies which pays for initial investigations I got sorted much quicker. check out the web Bene...n  (not allowed to give you the full name) unfortunately no use this time but good for any future problems maybe!

Have you considerd going to A&E possibly? 'sweetly'  ask your surgery receptionists for a print out of your blood tests to take with you. It does sound like you have not had the best care. 

Goodluck. let us know how you get on

• Posted

There is no reason at all for the GP not to at least try you on a few days of pred at 15mg - if it works quickly it is a fairish guide it might be PMR although not 100% foolproof. Most people are managed by a GP without ever seeing a rheumy - since it isn't unusual for a first appointment to take months it would be unfair to leave patients in such pain for so long.

Most of the other things it could be would show on scans. have you someone you can take with you to the GP? That might help. Or a different doctor - making it very clear just how much pain you are in. Start insisting on house calls - because you can't get out of bed. That might change his mind!

How was the potassium level this week?

• Posted

Hi Lindsey,

This is unacceptable, so try this. Have your GP order these two blood tests - a Sedimentation Rate (Sed Rate) and a C Reactive Protein (CRP).

In the US these results come back in hours, but I don't know where you live.  Once he sees the results of these tests, he'll know that your are in real pain and then ask him for some prednisone to tide you over until you see your rheumy.  I don't know how your medical system works, but if he won't help, can you go to another GP?

I know your pain and it's just not right that you can't get help.  I had to fight to get some help in the US.  For some reason, PMR is a condition that many doctor's don't understand. 

Cindy

• Posted

Lindsey has had her ESR and CRP measured and they have been high for a long time - she said that in her original post. She has a referral to a rheumatologist but her GP is not confident enough to give pred. And in the UK it isn't always that easy to go to a different GP - they usually work in a group practice but if one says no, often so will the others. They do, after all, have to work together! And it often isn't any different in the US.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.