Help with Plantar Fasciitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered from Plantar fasciitis for the last 3 years but only around 1 year ago has it gotten to the stage where I am in constant pain with my heels and it is gradually getting worse. My job entails alot of walking around on hard surfaces and building sites. Within the last year I have cortizon injections to my feet but the have not worked, I stay off my feet as much as I can but it doesn't relieve it and I have purchased a number of foot and heel supports but again these have done nothing. I am slightly overweight but I am loosing this but since loosing weight the pain has intensified. I usually wear sneakers, I also purchased a pair of sketchers with a memory foam sole but these make no different and I have resorted to wearing my crocs but again these have not worked. I am due to have another injection in February but I am very nervous that this is not going to work again. Please advise what I should do. Thanks,.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I do sympathise with you - I have had it for years too.  I must say that recently I have been massaging my legs in the morning and evening and before I go to bed at night I have been rolling two tins under my feet.  I keep them in the freezer and roll my feet over them 20 times before bed and have been amazed that the pain is not there when I am i bed as it has been terrible in the past.  good luck.
  • Posted

Hello Joanna, I have suffered PF for over 3 years and finally had Topaz Coblation Surgery 6 weeks ago, I am still in pain and going for ultrasound on Thursday to see what is going on....... I had 2 steroid injections and went for a third but could not have it done due to the PF rupturing, which is a side effect from steroid injections. I would certainly give it a go but cant it be done under ultrasound guidance the podiatrist/surgeon would then hit the right spot, instead of guessing. Good luck Joanna.
  • Posted

has your doctor looked at your gait?  It's possible that custom orthotics would help. They're expensive... Doc should be able to see whether you pronate or supinate or neither; these are things that orthotics can help with.  I don't think injections work except temporarily - see if you can get rid of the cause of the pain, to the extent possible.

• Posted

Hello, I'm 35yo male 6' 190lbs. I suffered PF 11 months ago on uphill hike with heavy pack. I too work on concrete 48 hours a week. I struggled with decideing to get injections. I gave up all hope of recovery. "Just cut my damn foot off it will hurt less" was my angry frustrated response most of time. I too bought all types of Orthodics shoes etc. I got very upset with my podiatrist one afternoon about lack of recovery. Not to mention $300 dollar each visit expense. He said firmly "listen Chris PF is a horrible injury, it heals very slow and it is very painful. Injections do not heal PF only reduce inflammation which causes pain. Suck it up and follow my regiment, this will take up to a year to heal." my successful recovery consisted of eight hours sleep every night. I wore a horribly uncomfortable night split every night. Sometimes I struggled to sleep well with it. Suck it up! $100 cost for a podiatrist quality night splint. Stretch calves 6-8 times a day for a couple minutes each time. Arch supports hurt, stick with it. Heel cups only relieve pain no healing benefit. Best shoes I found were asics gel-kayano 21. With sofsole 3/4 arch supports that go under insoles. Amazing combination. Ice 4-5 times a day for 20 minutes. 600mg of Motrin breakfast lunch and dinner for 10 days only. PF won't heal until inflammation is reduced consistantly. Calf stretches are most important. I also rolled tennis ball under foot agressively to break up scar tissue once daily. I know this sounds like a full time job. Trust me it is. If and when you recover, realize re-injury is very probable with any hard impact activities to feet. Proceed with caution for many months after pain subsides for most part. It will heal slowly if PF is your only foot problem without surgery or continued injections which can cause plantar fasciitis to rupture and or damage heel pad. Good luck stay strong and persistent!
    • Posted

Thank you for that Chris 37071.  I have had pf for nearly 5 years now. I had an injection in 2010 and it worked like magic untll May 2013 when we had been away for a week attending a wedding in scotland and made several stops on the way with lots of walking, At the end of the week omg my foot was in agony,  i then had another two injections one in november which onlylasted to april and another injetion in May.  Last year i had two knee replacements one in july and one in november and now i have resumed walking pf has returned.  I have been doing the treatments of icing the foot and massage of calf muscles but for not as long as you suggested so now i am going to do it religiously and see what happens. thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.