Help with RA and teeth loosening, coupled with kidney stone problems

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,  I need to know if anyone has had issues with frequent kidney stones and also loosening of teeth. I feel like my body is suddenly falling apart. I have been on methotrexate and plaquinel for about 5-6 yrs. i had a problem with another tooth in April; had it extracted. Then kidney stone surgery, and a stent inside me for 4 weeks. Now another tooth issue; a bicuspid that is loose. Anyone out therewith similar problems?? Thanks for any feedback.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Get well soon. My mom has RA, but due to age, she has teeth problem too. Some teeth has gone. She has also diabetes and abdomen issue. She has insomnia too.
  • Posted

It's strange you should ask that Susan because I have found that I now have 3 loose teeth after 4 years of Methotrexate and wondered if the meds were to blame. I shall have to ask my Rheumatologist after I've been to the Dentist and report back .

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I feel your pain as I too have major issues with my teeth. I've just lost my 4th tooth from periodontal disease.

I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Disease in 2010 but the gum disease has been there since 1990. This piece of research identifies a link between the two:

https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/comorbidities/gum-disease/ra-and-gum-disease.php

The kidney stones I don't have a problem with (yet).

I'm on Plaquenil, Sulfasalazine, Orencia and Arava.

Hope it helps to know that you are not alone, take care, G.

• Posted

Thanks for posting this link!  This post from susan42742 caught my eye, but I was unsure to respond as my dental problems preceded my RA diagnosis. My oral hygiene and dental care has always been good, yet I lost 3 teeth by age 40.  I'm lucky enough to have had dental implants successfully done, so by appearances my teeth are really nice, but my dental health has always been a worry for me.  Since being diagnosed with the RA a few years ago I've wondered about a possibly connection.  I'm sorry others have this problem, but at least I know I'm not alone.

• Posted

Hi Karen, my reply was waiting to be moderated so I'm pleasantly surprised it's printed.

When I asked my dentist about a possible link he said he had never heard of one so I didn't pursue it with him but am thoroughly convinced there's a huge link (in my case anyway).

I'm now wearing a denture and finding it most uncomfortable.

Do you think someone like me with gum disease could be a candidate for an implant?

Many thanks in advance, G.

• Posted

I had massive problems with teeth and I have RA but no medication so i cannot blame it on that but I have recently found out that my vitamin D was at critical levels and vitamin C was also very low, have you had these checked recently
    • Posted

Hi Susan sorry for late reply, vitamin D wouldn't be the cause but possibly high dose vitamin C maybe could but not certain.

I think RA and my rheumatologist wasn't convinced it's not, I also have dentures but really struggling with them and looking at implants but jaw might not be strong enough

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.