Help with routine for acne

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I’m in my early 20s (male), and have been struggling with facial acne since I was a young teenager. The T-Zone on my face consists of mostly oily skin, especially forehead. If I get a pimple, 90% of the time it is present on the forehead. Otherwise, I generally get one around the lower part of my face.

I used ProactivMD for 12-13 weeks, and it worked some. However, there were several areas it could not clear up. I went to a dermatologist, and she classified my acne condition as mild with mostly whiteheads present. She prescribed me Tretinion 0.05% cream and Clindamycin Phosphate 1% lotion. I have been applying both as needed, and have seen a little improvement so far. I have been on both for almost a week. Here is my daily routine. Please critique me where needed.

AM:

-ProactivMD Deep Clean Skin Wash (using up the rest of the bottle), then will switch to CeraVe Foaming Cleanser afterwards

-If going out in not much sun or w/e (like going to work): CeraVe AM SPF 30 sunscreen lotion

-If going out to gym or when sun is more present: Neutrogena Clear Face SPF 55 sunscreen lotion

Since I currently work 2nd shift at work, I generally wake up, eat breakfast, clean face, apply sunscreen, and drive to gym. During working out, I wear a sweatband and try to pat sweat off face using some paper towels. When finished with workout, I generally use a clean towel, pat off face, then finally dry hair from sweat. I then apply Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing wipe to face. I drive immediately home and then take a shower.

PM:

-ProactivMD Deep Clean Skin Wash

-CeraVe SA Cream (only to other areas of body)

-needed med (I wait 15-20 minutes after cleansing face)

As far as the meds go..

Tretinion cream – I apply 3 nights per week on the entire face. I then apply CeraVe Moisturizing Cream to face (recommended by dermatologist).

Clindamycin lotion – I apply once daily on the entire face. If I am going to apply the Tretinion cream the same day, I’ll apply this lotion during the daytime. If not applying that cream, I’ll apply it after cleansing at night. After 10 minutes of applying it, it generally dries up and I’ll apply moisturizing cream to face.

Here are some questions regarding the routine:

1. Before going to gym, would it be better to: deep clean face at gym before workout and apply sunscreen to “dirty” face before driving to gym. I had some thoughts that the sunscreen might be blocking pores up in heavy sweat, and that it does not need to be on the skin during indoor workouts.

2. I generally sweat really easy. It usually starts on the forehead, especially if I have anxiety. If I am at work with CeraVe SPF 30 lotion on my face, and I sweat a little on the face, should I worry about it? I try to pat down with a Kleenex if it happens. What about physical work and sweat is more of an issue?

3. Is it okay to keep CeraVe SPF 30 lotion on the face during a 8 hour work shift? I work a desk job, so I very rarely have sun exposure. If not, would it be recommended to cleanse off face with micellar water or cleansing wipe and follow with lotion (around 4-5 hours in)?

4. I currently rely on the exfoliating elements of the ProactivMD wash to the face for my exfoliating needs. I read online that it is generally recommended to exfoliate every 3-4 days. Would it be recommended to do so with this regime? How about a weekly mask as well?

5. After working out at gym, I'm thinking of using micellar water to cleanse face at gym before taking a shower at home. Would this be recommended? Could I apply a thin layer of sunscreen afterwards to just get by until I get home?

Thank you to all! Trying to clear up the acne that is present on my face.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi I would give it a few more weeks to start helping.  If it doesn't after that time then go back to your derma and let them prescribe something else instead.  There are a variety of treatments these days so have hope.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.