Help with shingles meds

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been given gabapentin for shingles but after a week I'm not getting any relief I'm in so much pain I've been back to GP and there saying take co codamol as well but the pain in my back is getting worse

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I am having a shingles attack as I am typing. My right leg and lower back are killing me. Even my right foot is having issues of being swollen. As for my back the only thing I have found to help is a heating pad and extremely mild exercise for lower back. I do a muscle tighting by standing up straight and tighting my butt muscles which in turn tightens my lower back muscles. It hurts like crazy, but by my muscles being tight it seems to help my back. Crazy right? Has your doctor put you on any meds that help control the out break? Since I have recurring shingles on am on 400 mgs of zovirax generic name acyclovir. They don't stop symptoms from happening, but it sure eases them and helps to minimize blisters. I myself believe in them. Was not taking them do to not having a doctor, outbreak was the worst I have had in years. Back on them and it started to help ease pain in two days. If like me exercise is not what you want to do when back is killing you, but it does help. Sorry for length of this. Hope it can help in some way.

• Posted

I cannot believe you get Shingles so often? The doctors all told me that it can only happen once in life? I'm so sorry that you're going thru this. Keep doing whats working best for you!!!!

I think to myself, I don't think I could live with the pain and itching of shingles ever again!!! Stay strong!!!

• Posted

Thanks Cindi,I hope it's a once off with you, most people only get it once so fingers crossed you will be one of them.

• Posted

Cindi, now you know how little doctors know about shingles. You can get shingles multiple times, you can get recurring shingles, you can get it as a very young child, you can get it without a rash. These are all things that many doctors think don't happen. Oh and they also believe gabapentin has few or no side effects. That may be the biggest mistake of them all.

• Posted

Wow, this blows my mind! Doctors need to go back to med school. I agree100% about the Gabapentin, so many side effects yet it's their # 1 drug they try to push for Shingles pain!!! I was on it for neck surgery and I couldn't remember sh--! and it makes you puffy and brain is always foggy. Terrible stuff as far as I'm concerned!!!!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!!

• Posted

So true about gabapentin, one of the side effects that I had while taking was a migraine that would not stop until I stopped taking them and another was blurred vision. Forgetful memory, leave a room or just thinking of something and have it be gone in a second. Never to be remembered again for hours if I was lucky.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.