Help with stress and anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

My boyfriend was diagnosed with WPW at 13 and had an ablation immediately after the diagnosis. He still has palpations at various times, but it seems to have become more frequent over the past few months (he is now 28). He has also started becoming more and more worried about dying, and thinks every little pain in his body, or heart flutter, or chest pain is trying to kill him. (We've talked about the possibility of him being a hypochondriac.)

This anxiety and stress over dying coupled with WPW is a horrible combination. I've been trying to get him to see a counselor or therapist but, for the time being, I was wondering if anyone had any tips so I can help him when he gets these anxiety attacks over dying? Also, what is the best approach to get him to seek some help regarding this?

Edit: He is currently on a 21 day heart monitor to see if he may need another ablation or if there is another, undiagnosed condition.

Thank you all in advance!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You sound like you're doing the right things.

I think it's completely normal to have anxiety over things like this but you're right in that it seems to have increased and is now crippling - a counsellor or therapist will be able to help.

Remind him that if there is anything wrong it can and will be dealt with and that out of everyone walking around he is less likely to have anything unexpected happen given the monitoring that he's been through. Hospitals and doctors don't tend to allow people that they know have life threatening conditions to wander about without telling them. Once the results are in you can deal with it then - until then keep talking it out.

Good luck

• Posted

Hello, i'm 20 years old and I was diagnosed with wpw last year after having episodes regularly since I was 10. I had my ablation and was told there was a 50% chance it hadn't worked followed by weird palpitations ever since. Due to this it had made me feel horrible, anxious, like i'm going to die and I amplifiy every single thing that happens to my body during this 'healing process?'. I've visited A and E several times since the operation beause I blow things way out of proportion , instantly thinking my symptoms are related to that of a heart attack, just to be sent home every time, after x rays, bloods and monitoring, and told that everything is normal.

I have now realised that I am a hypochondriac, and I am suffering with anxiety. I think it may help to tell your boyfriend that he needs to accept that he may be those two things, I found it hard very hard to listen to my own boyfriend when he told me that I need to stop worrying and I am stronger then I make myself out to be.

What I found has really helped me in situations like this is meditation. It was very difficult to do at first however I am becoming better at it, that I am now able to do it when I have problems out in public.

Breathing is the main thing I do.. I breathe in for 5 slow seconds and out for 3, repeating each time until my heart calms down. Tell him to do that with his eyes open to begin with until hes comfortable enough to close his eyes/half close .When his eyes are closed (this is the hardest thing to do) try to completely empty your mind, try to block out all sounds, or focus on one sound. I've noticed that I can hear my heart beat, which during meditation people tell you to focus on but in this situation tell him to try and ignore his heart beat too. These steps only help me when my heart picks up and begins to ache and I start panicking which in turn leads me to believe i'm short of breath and need help or assistance.

When he is at home tell him to lay down and practice this, starting with two minutes then increase the amount of time over the days or however many times he wants to do it. Burn a candle and look at the flame, for some reason that draws me back down to reality and calms me.

Tell him , if he drives or uses public transport to take a moment and appreciate everything thats around him (the scenery relaxes me), including you. I like to think of it as every single one of us is able to live today and thats special, with all the dangerous things on this earth and outside of it . Tell him that you will always be there and that he is strong.

When I have actual palpitations, I feel like since I've been doing this it is much better to deal with, watch something funny and relax as much as possible - tell him to pay more attention on the food and drink he consumes which might effect him negatively ( caffiene, alcohol, things that make your heart naturally pick up its pace) that has been hard for me to do however avoiding certain things has helped me ,as when I do consume these things, I have problems soon after. Also laughter helps me alot, i'm going to emphasize this - make him laugh!! it helps me alot when things get bad.

There is an app that I like to use to monitor my heart rate 'HeartRateFree' both iphone and android. sometimes it reassures me that my heart is beating normally and I am the one panicking. Sometimes feeling the pulse on his neck when he feels like he can't breathe or that his heart rate is slowing helps - as it shows that it's still there working hard !

Sorry this is so long, I hope this helps until he see's someone about possibly having a second one as I may have to ,too. It is also reassuring being able to speak to people who are going though the same things, if he finds something that helps him I would love to know!

Emma

• Posted

Basically i just accepted the fact that i may die younger. But, its ok. Tons of people dont even get this much of a shot at life. As ridiculous as it sounds we are very fortunate to be born with the capabilities that we do possess. Heart conditions are notorious for causing anxiety and stress. Unfortunately stress and anxiety arnt good for your hear. When you live life feeling like your gonna die all the time, you get fed up and stop thinking about it and just live. I hope the best for you. And remember whatever it is that kills you. Its going to happen either way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.