Help with venlafaxine

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am now 4 weeks into taking Venlafaxine for severe anxiety (had to give up work as could not cope). Was previously on Citalopram for 10 years but I guess it stopped working! Docs tried Setraline and after 2 weeks I was like a zombie. Then they started me on venlafaxine. 3 weeks on 37.5mg twice a day. Thought I was starting to get better, had a few drinks and anxiety back with a vengeance. Docs asked my to gradually increase to 75mg twice a day. Still feeling tired and anxious. Will this subside? Anyone had similar symptoms. I just want to get well again so I can get looking for a new job.  

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there. You're going to be okay. We have all been where you are and we all understand. First, it takes anywhere between 4-8 weeks for venlifaxine to work and sometimes you'll have some flare ups while your brain adjusts to the medication. And sometimes with any anti anxiety medication, ironically, anxiety can be a side effect.

You're almost there, but there are other things you can do to boost serotonin in your brain that helps with mood and anxiety. Dark greens, almonds, kefir, cheese. And VIGOROUS exercise. I walk a lot, ride my bike. And I pray and go to church a lot. I use the "calm" app. It's very good. So try to help your medication work. In a few more weeks, you'll be done a lot better. Can your doctor if symptoms get worse or you have self harm thoughts. God bless you and hang in there. You'll be okay!

• Posted

Hi Tammy

Thank you for replying to my post. I walk quite a lot with my sister and find good afterwards. I’ve been finding it hard to eat just now but eating what I can. Thankfully I have never self harmed or had dark thoughts. Just impatient and feel this is the worst spell I’ve had. It’s good to hear positive thoughts from other people. Take care.

• Posted

I had too step down from my work too I could cope with the extra work load it all just became too much n made me ill trying xx
    • Posted

Hi Karen I’m glad I’m not alone. I had started a new job and after 10 weeks I could not take any more pressure! I handed in my notice as new even when I get fully better it is too hectic for me. I lost a stone in weight during that time. My eating is still not great but find at night time I’m hungry. 
    • Posted

Your defo not alone I was the same. I feel so bad about being like this but I just can't cope with any high pressured job I now just work part time it's all I can do xxx

• Posted

Hi Karen 

When I am better that is what I’m going to do I think as part time puts less stress on us. Hope you’re doing well x

• Posted

DO NOT DRINK ON THESE. Trust me, alcohol reacts very badly to these. You have to give them time to start working again
    • Posted

Hi James

I’ve learned the hard way. Still not back to the way I was feeling before I had alcohol and that was nearly 2 weeks ago. The fact I have increased my meds does not help. I’m just taking each day as it comes.

• Posted

I was the same thought I was over it done well drunk alcohol then felt as bad as ever again was so annoyed with myself after getting well again xx
  • Posted

How you doing Elaine xx
    • Posted

Hi Karen Thanks  for getting in touch. I had been doing good for the last few weeks but not great today! Was looking at jobs and think that was subconsciously stressing me out. Had to have a lie down and not done that during the day for 2 weeks. This is never ending! How are you keeping now? X
    • Posted

Elaine I've been doing good then last few days been feeling not so good like not wanting too go too work staying inside n not wanting too go out avoiding people etc I'm so fed up with this damn depression it's taking over my life. I just want too manage day too too keep working 😭 I take venlafaxine 75mg twice a day I'm now adding in another 37.5 tablet once a day. The physciatrist said I can go up too 300mg but obv I'm trying too stay on as little as possible I just don't know what too do for the best xxx

• Posted

That’s not so good Karen. I was not great today very anxious and sleepy. I may call docs tomorrow as that’s nearly 7 weeks! Don’t want to increase Venlafaxine anymore as they make me so tired! When will I ever get relief x
    • Posted

Elaine have you had your thyroid checked as this is what caused me too feel very very sleepy n not have any motivation too do anything. The venlafaxine didn't make me sleepy but everyone is different. I struggle too sleep. Xx

• Posted

They checked my blood and it’s fine. Will just need to wait another 3 weeks and see how I feel then. Is it anxiety or depression you suffer from? On a whole are you finding this medication works for you? How long have you been on it? X
    • Posted

It's depression I suffer from yeah it's defo helped me I was doing great but last few days my moods have been low hoping it's just a blip tho 🤔🤞

• Posted

hi...I know this post is 7 months old but just to say, remember us girls have hormonal ebbs and flows, our monthly periods play a significant part in why we get ups and downs even on medication. I'm also on venlafaxine and going through EXACTLY the same ....just a thought if anyone's reading still.

• Posted

so true sue. My friend said this too me yesterday ❤

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.