Help with Venlafaxine dosage

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi All,

My first post to this forum. I have had had anxiety since 2005 following my diagnosis with MS. Since that time I have had numerous anxiety episodes and have treated them with Venlafaxine 75mg for a 6-8 week period. I have kept myself on a low dose 37.5mg since 2011. I have had a strange year where I developed anxiety after catching Covid - once in Dec 2021 and then in March 2022. Both times I treated the anxiety in the same way by going up to Venlafaxine 75 and waiting for things to improve which they did.

I stayed on Venlafaxine 75mg after my March 2022 attack, however in early May I suffered what could have been a mild MS relapse or a migraine (hard to tell the difference with my particular version of MS). I have since suffered with acute anxiety - seemingly much higher than on previous occasions. I was already on what I thought was a therapeutic dose of 75mg so was surprised to have anxiety. After 10 days my GP upped my dose to 112.5 which I stayed on for 2 weeks. The anxiety didn't get any better in this time, if anything it got worse. I was then suggested to go to 150mg which I have been on for a week. My anxiety is now at its peak and doesn't look like going down any time soon. I take 0.5mg Lorazepam once a day to try and quell the morning anxiety but whilst previously it worked really well it's now just about taking the edge off.

My question is two fold:

1. Do I stick on this dosage (150) for longer even though it seems to be increasing my anxiety and doing little else or do I titrate down to 75mg which is a level I can tolerate and wait it out?
  2. Does this instance seem as is Venlafaxine has stopped working for me and do I need to look at an alternative?

Appreciate all the help I can get here. I am trying to get an appointment to see a psychiatrist but I am hoping I might get some wisdom from the good folk here.

Thank you.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.