Help with Venlafaxine (Effexor)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello!

I've been on venlafaxine for about 2 years, taking a dose of 150mg per day. I used to take the generic pills which are cheaper. To be honest I didn't even know there was an 'original' one, named Effexor, until last friday.

When I changed town I continued the treatment with another doctor, and he suggested i came off the drug. I thought I'd try, and for the first month I reduced from 150mg to 75mg. Nothing wrong there. Then I took another step and reduced from 75 to 37,5mg and in the fourth day I collapsed.

I had this breakdown, feeling all kind of weird symptoms: dizzyness, dry mouth, excess sleepness, confusion, mental oblivions (memory lapses), total apathy, total loss of libido. 

I got really scared and tried to go back on my own since I was off town and couldnt talk to the doctor.

I took for 3 days the 150 mg pills but that didnt help. I consulted another doctor and he suggested to take a 107,5 mg dose (75+37,5) for 20 days and then restore the original 150 mg dose afterwards.

It's been 6 days since I started taking this dose and I still feel awful! I feel like I'm not the same anymore!!! It's the strangest thing ever. I had to ask for a job-absent license cause I can't work in these conditions.

One other thing is that a moved from the generic pills to the Effexor (from Pfizer - Wyeth) - the doc suggested that - and I don't know if that is making things worse...

I feel really akward, useless, like my brain is in slow motion. I've been thinking about goin' cold turkey since taking back venlafaxine didnt help.

I appreciate any messages. Sorry for the english, I'm Brazilian and the head also feels awful.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I really understand how it all feels as I also had to come and on and off few medications before I settled in something I take sertraline now 100 mg a day with therapy I think works but sometimes things do bad even I wonder whether they work or not but try to yo stick it.

medication can have lot of side effects

• Posted

Hi ricardo sorry to see you are having such problems with.venlafaxine ! You sound like one.of.the unlucky.ones that has trouble. Or side effects with it ! Venlafaxine no matter who the manufacturer is should be the same ! Im on 225mg of venlafaxine daily which can give the odd headache ! I sympathise with you i only tend to get problems when i miss a dose ! Please try and stick to the same doctor as this will in the end help the doctor see how you are keeping ! I wish you well please let me know how you get on please ! David
  • Posted

Hi ricardo

try to stick to it,medication are very strong I felt the same originally and wanted to come off but my Dr guided me to stay on I had initially some bad symptoms but I persevered.

• Posted

Well said shipla i think he needs to get to his doctor and get guidence from him rather than changing the dosage himself thats were he will get problems.i should know i get problems when i miss doses ! David x
  • Posted

You got your point across Just fine Ricardo :-)

I am on Venlafaxine myself and very tempted to Go cold turkey myself but As I have been on It a while I have decided to request a reduction In dose to avoid the sort of side effects you mentioned.  Try not to worry too much about the side effects. I am sure that its just temporary but It must have given you a Bit of à scare.

If you have anyone to support you Let them Help you through this blip In your recovery .

Remember to trust yourself and your Body if you Still feel unwell after a few days Go back to your doctor and ask advice. J

• Posted

Thanks everyone who replied! It`s now 10h50 pm and for some miraculous reason Im feeling a little better. The dizzyness appeared to have gone. Lets see if I wake up better tomorrow. 
  • Posted

Today I woke up feeling really strange. There`s no dizziness or any other painful symptom, but I feel disorientated, like I`m a totally different person. This is the 3rd day taking the 107,5mg dose and it`s the third day I wake up like this.

Sometimes I feel like a child, staring at things I wouldn’t normally stare at. I couldn`t read the newspaper because a flush of thoughts invade my head and can`t make me concentrate. I`m kinda drunk 24-7, the reflexes are a bit slower.

How can one single med do that much with someone? I mean, it raises the serotonin in the bloodstream as I`m aware of. Not nice..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.