Help with Vitamin D absorption

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am currently on my second course of treatment from my GP for Vitamin D deficiency. However, I am not convinced it will work, and that my underlying problem is absorption

Although I sunbathe quite a lot, I tan very easily and have extremely dark skin/a lot of melanin.

I also have a problem with my bile duct - it is narrowed and tapered (diagnosed in 2010), and I have a lot of digestive problems (nausea when eating fatty foods) associated with it.

I have taken a daily cod liver oil capsule for years, and now take a 25ug Vitamin D3 daily supplement instead. Despite this, I am still deficient.

Is there anything I can do to improve my gut absorption please?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Several things.

1. Find sublingual vitamin D3. It's available as spray or tables, and offers far better absorption for those with impaired digestive systems.
    2. Take magnesium. Without it, vitamin D is not activated.
    3. Take vitamin K2 or find foods rich in K1 or K2. There are lots of them, actually.
  • Posted

Vitamin D is a fat-soulable vitamin, which means that it needs fat to be absorbed. Consuming vitamin D with some fat may help you. But as you mentioned that you take cod liver oil, which contains a lot of fat, it might not help to consume more. Still worth a try though

• Posted

Drink tea shortly after taking the tablets. Drink lots of tea it helps with absorption.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.