Help with what’s next please

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone. I'm after some advice for my husband, who is 68. There's been something not right for ages. He's very lethargic/fatigued, suffers with skin complaints, mild confusion and memory loss.

He's had numerous blood tests including LFTs and the only tests that have come back abnormal are ferritin at 860 and transferrin at 60%. He has access to his online record which now says, suspect Haemochromatosis.

My query is, what should happen next? He's quite anxious and wants answers. It's always a wait for appointments at our doctors, so when we do go, we want to ask all the right questions. Thanks.

Edit: I've just remembered, his platelet count is low and urea is high, although neither result seemed to bother the GP. Perhaps these results are concerning, in light of the possible diagnosis?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The GP has ordered the gene test and my husband has had bloods taken for that, this morning. She also said she would discuss with her colleague about referring to a Haematologist. She said there were a few patients registered with the practice with Haemochromatosis, so they know about it. So far so good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.