Help with what to expect from first hospital appt?

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI all, I am 51 and have been having troubles with periods all my life, since June this year I have also been having a lot of pain.  My GP sent me for a scan as it was affecting me going to the loo and said it might be a fibroid on my bladder but it turned out I had an ovarian cyst (and a polyp).  I have been referred to gynae and my first appointment is Wednesday this week.  Does anyone know what is likely to happen?  I really want this sorting out asap as it is causing me problems both at home and work as the pain is getting worse.  Is there a magic formula/word that will help?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

You will be asked questions and given the opportunity to ask any you have.

The consultant will go through the scan results with you, if not ask them to.

You are likely to have a physical exam as in if I press here does it hurt.

Write down any questions you have, any symptoms, worries etc, (good idea to have two copies one for you and one to give them), and if you can take someone with you.

Thinking of you and big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

Thanks for that.  I have written a diary of what has been happening since June when I got the first pain/discomfort which caused me to go to the GP.  I will take a second copy of that with me - didn't think of that.  My husband is coming with me so he will probably think of things as well and he will be able to remember what is said - hopefully!  I really want the pain to go away and I am trying not to take too many painkillers but one of the questions I do want to ask is what pain relief I can have until it is sorted out.  Had a co-codamol last night to go to bed and had about 4 hours completely pain free, didn't want to take another in the early hours of the morning as I had work to get up for and it does make me a bit dopey! Well more than normal wink  Really appreciate the reply.
  • Posted

Hi Susan...my first appointment involved an ultra sound scan, and they will do a transvaginal scan if they cant get good images from the ultra sound. Its just a camera and they dont always need to do it. After that i had an mri scan which lasted for about 50 minutes. My cysts are fortunately benign and fluid filled but because they are so large they will remove them open surgery instead of keyhole. Know what you mean about being painful and uncomfortable! Im constantly needing a wee and have various other problems going to the toilet. Cant wait for it to be done! Theyre very common so they see them all the time, hopefully you'll be seen quickly and can feel better soon. Because theres nothing wrong with them cancer wise ive been told it will be a 2-4 month wait for the op. Ive just come home after a 3 hour flight and look like ive swallowed a large lead filled beach ball sad good luck, hope youre ok xx
    • Posted

Co codamol is good for the pain but it can make you quite bunged up too...ive been using ibruprofen too xx
    • Posted

Thank you. I have had one scan but I suppose they might want another as that was done beginning of July. I haven't really found any of the pain killers help much - dull it a bit but last night was the first time I felt pain free. Maybe its because I have tried to avoid taking them at regular intervals, however, if that is what they suggest on Wednesday then I will start doing so. Have been using heat bag and TENS machine as alternatives. Really appreciate your replies, it helps to be in touch with people who have the same or similar issues.
    • Posted

Heat bags really can help.

Painkillers need to be taken on a schedule to be effective, the reason is that once pain has taken control it is difficult to re-assert control. This is one of the reasons that it is a good idea to discuss them with the gynaecologist so that if need be a proper routine can be established.

• Posted

I will do that if they say it is the best thing to do, just very wary of doing it off my own back, getting dosage wrong etc. Would prefer not to have to do it, of course, but if it helps until a longer term solution comes along I will do what I'm told. Anything to avoid the knife-like pain I got when in the car the other day, I think every bump caused me a problem.
    • Posted

Just follow the instructions on the packet and ask the pharmacist. Their training means they know drugs well. Can help you know which to use and how
  • Posted

hi all i had dermoid tumor and ovaries removed ,last year look back on my notes ,i was in constent pain using pain killers and heat pads etc no sleep...i was told i had to wait,(well dont)phone the surgeons secretary ,keep on at them ,its the only way ,believe me i know....they tried to fob me off , please dont suffer hun,wish you luck mags biggrin
    • Posted

I will certainly keep on top of them, if don't my husband will. Thanks for the advice though.
  • Posted

I had a problem with having periods after going for 12 months without so my doctor booked me in at the hospital for tests.  I had ultrasound scan, then the inside ultrasound scan, womb biopsy and blood tests all at the same appointment and my consultant said they had found a cyst that was 4.7cm.  I was booked in for MRI scan. A few weeks later then went back to see the consultant for results.   He said he thought the cyst was benign but couldn't be 100% until it was tested.  He suggested an hysterectomy which although it was a bit of a shock, I was totally happy about as I was nearly 51.   He booked me in there and then for an operation 7 weeks later.  

I am 9 weeks post op now and seemed to have sailed through it with very few problems or pain.  😊

• Posted

Pleased to hear things are going well for you.  Hopefully my outcome will be just as swift, fingers crossed.

• Posted

Forgot to add that the cyst had grown to 10cm by the time they removed it so they can grow pretty fast 😳
  • Posted

Hi Susan

No magic formula as far as I know . Prob depends on what they do as to size . Think if below 5cm they adopt a watch and see policy if above they remove. Again on location is what they take out with cyst . If it is your womb they need to take id push to take ovaries at same time. I was 42 when they did hysterectomy and

They left ovaries . Now 50 and just had cyst and had to have them

Out. Op been worse this time as vertical cut and adhesions whereas would have got away

With horizontal cut if was all done at once. They may send you for a ct scan or

MRI. Quite routine as well

As blood marker tests. Hi

• Posted

Meant to say good luck on Wednesday x
    • Posted

Size is irrelevant if the cyst is what they call symptomatic eg causing pain et. In this case watch and wait is not the recommended course of action, removal is (can be of cyst only), so push for a resolution.
    • Posted

Thanks both of you, I will certainly push for a resolution of the problem whatever the size as I don't want to go on like this, it is making my life a misery.  If they offer to take everything I will say yes as I have no further use for it wink
    • Posted

NHS Choices website - "Large ovarian cysts or cysts that are causing symptoms will usually need to be removed."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.