Helpful painkillers during a cfs relapse?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everybody....i am currently in the throws of an extremely unpleasant relapse...trying Pregabalin, Trazodone for pain relief....no luck so far...anybody had any luck with Naproxen? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am really bad at the moment. Can't stand it any longer. I haven't heard of any of the pills you mention. I don't take anything. Very bad side effects.

good luck with things, I hope you get better soon.

• Posted

Hi Alison....hang in there....its a slow road to improvement...we will all get there in time....various self help techniques can take the edge from some of the symptoms...it is a batttle but not one that we will lose....very best wishes..Guy
  • Posted

Hi,

I am currently 5 months into my latest relapse and I tried both Pregabalin and Gabapentin with no relief. I'm now on 200mg Tramadol a day. This relieves my pain for a couple of hours but still not completely.

Hope this helps.

Lauren.

• Posted

Hi Lauren....I guess one way to look at this dreadful scenario for you, is that is five months behind you..Just deal with Now....Thankyou for you meds advice....i try to get through the day by moving a bit and then resting a while...a range a gentle stretches and exercise gives a brief respite to a small degree....Tramadol is effective to some degree but i am not so good with its side effects....always have a packet by my bed though....very best wishes to you, Guy
    • Posted

Hi Lauren,  I take Tramadol too, 400mg per day.  It is common to take paracetamol with the Tramadol to help combat pain in two ways.  In fact they are often prescribed together.  You can actually get a pill which has both in it called Tramacet.  I take two 500mg paracetamol with the Tramadol, as prescribed by my doctor.  Please make sure you don't take too many paracetamol as it can be a very dangerous drug.  It might be an idea to talk to your doctor about taking both if the Tramadol aren't working very well on their own.  You could also ask about increasing the dose.  In addition, I am prescribed amitriptyline to take at night, up to 30mg.  This is actually an antidepressant but it is often prescribed for pain relief in e.g. arthritis.  I take it as a relaxant to help with really severe restless limb syndrome.  I don't take 30mg every night as I can usually tell early evening how much I am going to need.  I may not take any, depending on symptoms.  I do feel a bit groggy if I take ALL the medicine prescribed but in that case my symptoms are really bad and I am pretty much bedbound anyway.

Linda 

• Posted

Hi guy my son has CFS following a serious road accident with a drunk driver we are fortunate to have excellent solicitors he has been seen by a consultant psychiatrist in Harley street who commenced him on Venlafaxine which is a serotonin and norphrinephrine re uptake inhibitor. He commenced on 37.5mg twice daily for 3 weeks then increased to 75mg twice daily. He's now on 150mg daily and which is a suitable dose for him, but can be increased to over 300mg if he requires it. Within 2mths we could notice a difference by May this yr his pain is reduced his fatigue is less in a morning he's been back working full time since May with no days off sick. He still has fatigue and pain but only needs to take paracetamol 1gm and codeine 15mg and then rest for a short time until the pain eases. As a registered nurse who also has fibromyalgia and been the vice chair of the local support group for 3 yrs quite a few of our members tried pregabalin with no effect, other members tried duloxetine with better symptom relief. He was also referred by our GP to the CFS unit at sea croft hospital Leeds where he attended 1 day weekly for 10months this was a huge help as he learnt how to cope with the symptoms including how to reduce and prevent relapses. He's now 23yrs old and been struggling for 3yrs. since June this yr its the best he's felt fingers crossed. 
    • Posted

Hi...thankyou for your detailed account....i do not have much energy etc to reply at length as i would wish....my consultant is not a fan of Venlafaxine..but i have heard of other people doing quite well on that med...i hope your son remains stable and improves in continous fashion....thankyou...Guy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.