Hemaplegic Migraines

Posted , 3 users are following.

So Monday night felt like my head exploded. Left eye swelled shut extremely bloodshot. Left side of gace extremely swollen. Light and noise sensitive. Loss of feeling in left hand and foot. Worse pain in head than i ever been thru. So finally discharged Tursday night. Ct and MRI showed no stroke or seizure. My diagnosis this strange rare migraine called Hemaplegic Migraine with Stroke and Seizure like symptoms as well as light and sound sensitivity. Topamax 50 mg a day and firiocet if the headache comes back. Plus in home PT for the residual left side weakness. I feel so defeated. I feel like noone understands. I feel like my 40 yr old body has betrayed me. How has nprmal run of the mill migraines that were never much a

Of a bother turned into such a monster. And worse off will I ever get better? I am sure this is part of grieving process its hard to feel so weak and helpless but does anyone else have these?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh my gosh you poor thing. I really know how it feels. I have been through this. Cluster headaches one after the other for longest period was 3 months solid. Wanted to die. I was given sumatriptan injections which helped at first but then stopped responding. Over the years I have noticed (and this will seem pathetic to you when you're going through it) but I have noticed coca cola (not diet) and aspirin or anadin if you can take aspirin, together have been more effective than many prescription drugs. Also I have propranolol to stop the flashing in my eyes which helps a lot. Stay away from cocodamol or anything with codeine as it triggers or makes it worse. Seriously coke and anadin really helps. I just wanna give you a big hug because I so know what it's like. I have had all those symptoms and yes many idiots haven't a clue what it's like.

• Posted

Thank you for responding. And thank you for not laughing at my typing errors. Another side affect from thos wonderful migraine.

Thxs for advice. Glad to take the hug too.

• Posted

I am 29 and had an episode while at work ...mine started off with a little nausea then right blurred vision and right tingle in my hand with a speech interruption...all my test were good so I was also diagnosed with hemiplegic migraines...im not totally convinced because I have never really had headaches ....i did after the episode but not before
    • Posted

I'm 42 and they got bad at around your age. Again, Amanda try propanolol for the blurry eye and I also meant to say Gabapentin which is for epilepsy sufferers also is good. God bless you both. I'm off to bed now. It's weird as it's a bit like panic attacks, when you talk about it it can bring one on xxx night guys and hope I helped xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.