Hematoma after Hip Replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I'm 14 days post-op TRHR. Has anyone experienced hematoma? Mine feels like a large peeled boiled egg next to the surgical site (a big lump). My surgeon said this is normal. He drained it a week ago and said there will still be swelling and to keep ice on it. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this phase of HR.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robin. I also had a haematoma after I had my hip done last year in September but mine was different. Exactly a week later I woke up covered in blood. It was leaking out of my wound site. I went to A & E but didn't get very far with them. They re-dressed it and sent me home. As soon as I got in, it happened again. Long story short after two trips to A & E, one night in hospital followed by a mad visit to the hospital clinic, they told me I had a haematoma and would need operating on. Exactly two weeks after the THR they opened the wound up and washed everything out and fastened me up again. I had a tiny hole in the original incision site that caused the liquid to come out so I didn't get the swelling like you have. The blood thinners made the blood more watery allowing it to get out. Hopefully your swelling will go down, but keep an eye on it. I was paranoid for ages after this and any sign of leakage I drew a circle over the dressing to check there was no more.

• Posted

Shelley, OMG, thank you for sharing your experience! I can't imagine what you went through! I'm scheduled to see my surgeon again in a few days and I'm sure he'll drain it again and give me instructions to take care of it. Thank goodness it doesn't hurt or anything, just a large mass of a lump next to the surgical site that looks and feels weird. I'm so glad you recovered from your experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.