Hemifacial spasm

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had this condition for almost ten years and although not painful it has altered my life by reducing my confidence.

i recently enquirer when at one of my Botox appointments if there were any new treatments and was told that surgery was now more successful.I have been offered an operation on the N.H.S. And am going through the decision .As I am quite a fit 66 year old I really don't want to be having Botox for possibly another 20 years!

My main concern is finding a good surgeon,any advice would be welcome.

Marilyn

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Marilyn,

I am 65 and had the MVD operation last October. My face is still twitching a bit and spasming a bit on the left-hand side but the consultant said it can take up to a year for the nerve to settle down so I am having to be patient. The statistics are that a third of patients wake up from the op spasm-free, a third find they go within three months and the other third have to wait longer. I have had the condition for nearly 8 years and, like you, didn't want to have Botox for the rest of my life, so decided to have the operation.

The surgeon with the best track record seems to be Nik Patel in Bristol. His reputation is spreading fast and he is now in great demand. I expect there are others as well but you would have to do some research. There is a very helpful, knowledgeable and supportive HFS group on Facebook which you might consider joining. Good luck! Sally

• Posted

Thank you Sally for your quick response.I live in Hampshire so will research surgeons in this area.I think a 33% risk sounds reasonable.

also I'll look into HFS Facebook.

many thanks

Marilyn

• Posted

Hi Marilyn

There are many of us who totally understand how HFS makes you feel and how it alters your confidence and sociability.  I was 62 when I had successful surgery with Nik Patel in Bristol.  He does this surgery very regularly and has good success rates (in excess of 80% cured and another 10% who see some improvement).  He also really understands HFS and knows how emotionally blunting it can be.  You have to understand that there are risks to all surgery but Nik seems to have minimal instances of deafness (one of the biggest risks).  The recovery period is different for everyone but most people feel pretty good after about 6 weeks and back to full strength after 3 months.  The first 2-3 weeks are quite debilitating.  Please private message me if you need any further information.  I am of course supposing that you are in the UK when I write all of this!  All the best to you, Angela

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.