Hemilaminectomy and microdisectomy L4 L5 and walking like a number 1 :-)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just sharing my experience 1week postsurgery... my sciatica pain down my righr leg is completely gone. I have a tingling sensation in my left big toe and 2nd toe...mind you this is a huge improvement as those toes were previously numb.

Prior to surgery l had pain that would come and go for a period of about 6 years. I worked as a treasury officer in a Bank lifting money bags and boxes on a frequent basis.

Having become more sedentary in the last 2 years my pain became more intense and constant. I have been told sitting causes more pressure on the discs. October last year l lifted 2 watercooler bottles up a stairs at the office and replaced an empty one on the cooler. My pain became acute and walking was severely hampered. Not to mention l began walking bent like a number 5. I became a patient of 2 chiropracters which provided temporary relief to the nerve pain l had been experiencing. Following an MRI I had consultations with 3 neurosurgeons. One wrongly diagnosed cauda equina (confirmed the error with the other 2 surgeons and 1 chiropracter) and informed me my option was rods and screws...disc removal and fusion. Thankfully l chose the surgeon who offered a minimally invasive procedure and l am recovering well. My postop appointment is tomorrow. The 3rd surgeon did provide important advice that prepared my body for surgery and is helping my healing. He advised me to follow a vegan diet for 2 weeks prior surgery. I had to eat at least 3 potspoons of peas per day along with fruits vegetables and whole grains, lots of water, apple juice, ginger tea and supplements vitamin C, B, folic acid, vitamin E in specified potent amounts,and coconut oil. I was instructed to stay away from garlic (thins the blood), pepper (except cayenne pepper) as it irritates the nerves and citrus that also irritates the nerves.

I have reintroduced lean meat and fish into my diet and have found l feel great!!! I have decided to eliminate citrus for the next 6months. I have booked a Caribbean holiday (2 months post surgery) to refresh myself.

Throughout the pain experience l have kept a positive and prayerful mind. I had no fear going into surgery and was excited to regain my life and return to doing the things l loved.

I watched comedies before surgery to ensure my 'happy hormones' were always activated and meditated on a picture in my mind of myself jumping and lauging and excercising which l love. One week Post surgery l'm not jumping yet but keeping the laughter and gratitude high!!!

I hope my story encourages you to take charge of your health and encourage optimum healing.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had surgery twice on my back for discectomy and my recovery is now into six weeks and i am having a lot of pain on my left leg with walking problems and reduced sensation in my leg and foot. It's ironic, because i was having the pain and problems on the right side. Are you on Gabapentin for the pain?

• Posted

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your pain....I had no pain after the surgery just a 'pulling' where the incision was made. I had that feeling when moving from a standing position to a seated one...I had a few stitches at the surgical site....When my stitches were removed at my first post surgery check up (10 days) that was the last of any pulling at the incision site...

You said you had surgery twice...and I was wondering whether it was years apart? In addition which discs?

I can say the my pain issues first presented on the left side and then I expperienced numbness and severe pain on my right side....now.... post surgery the only lingering issue is numbness between my left big toe and second toe....

To be honest if I don't think about I don't know it is there...

• Posted

Well it has been 1 year since my surgery on January 31st 2017 and I feel great!!!

​I began running in August 2017 to switch up my rehabilitation while continuing to do my core exercises which are planks and hip lifts while lying on my back with bent knees. I found the experience very freeing although I have not had the time to run as I would like to. I continue to walk at least 3 days a week 3 miles each day as that is what my schedule allows smile.

​I started belly dancing in December 2017 and enjoy this new exercise immensely especially since it works parts that walking cannot do. I have also started contact dancing to assist with core and general physical strength. What a therapeutic experience! Contact dancing is strengthening my legs and helping me regain flexibility...I am careful to gradually increase the weight bearing moves and thank God I continue to be pain free!!!

​I must admit that when I do not drink a lot of water my back feels a bit strained, therefore I keep hydrated...

​Generally I eat everything but keep my carbs up eg. yam, dasheen, sweet potato, green figs and salads with lots of lettuce and carrots.

​I trust everyone is improving at whatever stage they are at and taking time to listen to their bodies and apply what works!!!

​Hope, Commitment, Keep moving,

Malaika 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.