Hemiplegic migraine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have been suffering from hemiplegic migraine for 20 years now but only got the diagnosis a few months ago. I'm trying to find out more about the triggers and symptoms. I have the stroke like symptoms and have read a few reports people have given about there symptoms. I am experiencing a bad depression leading up to the migraine and during along with the symptoms this takes days to lift gap anyone else had this ?

Feeling at the end of my tether at times and so exhausted with the whole event x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hannah,

The symptoms you get prior to having a hemaplegic migraine are typical of the triggers for the condition.

Last year I was going through a lot of stress and I was frequently admitted to hospital as like you say it looks like you are having a stroke.

I am currently taking Flunarizine and having Botox and I am pleased to say, they are helping a lot.

Keep in touch, let us know how you get on and nag those drs else they can fob you off.  If you havent already done so get to see a neurologist.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi I have been to see the neurology department and do feel like I got fob off the doc are just the same I am being told to call the ambulance now each time I get the paralysis as this should get some reaction. I have never called the ambulance for the migraine before
  • Posted

Yes, I get told to call an ambulance because you never know if you are actually having a stroke.

They will take you in as the paramedics dont know either.

The neurologist will take you seriously if you are persistant.

Best of luck.

What did you think if the treatments I am having?

• Posted

If it's working then stick with it . I have a problem taking medication as I'm very sensitive and medication has become a trigger because of miss diagnosis the botox sounds interesting it's been mentioned to me before x
  • Posted

Hi Hannah-

Sorry you are going through that- I remember how scary and debiliting it was...

I had all that and more. Currently migraine free. Did tons of research.(which was not easy- as I had very severe processing and memory issues afterward.)

Changed my diet- lifestyle. Figured out my food 'triggers'.

Had scans which showed thyroid issues and hashimotos.

Treated those conditions. Now researching pararthyroid which can cause a lot of symptoms.

Don't give up on getting better. I amm 99% better and hoping to get to 100%!

K

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying I'm interested in finding out more about the food triggers I have most of them under control but I'm still missing something

Like you I have memory problems and find I'm having problems concentrating after a migraine

Life is better than it used to be cut though the migraines are fewer they are worse when I do get them x

• Posted

Hi Hannah-

Glad things are a bit better for you.

I cut out wheat and chocolate (OMG!!!) ): and it helped me a lot.

How have you changed your diet?

• Posted

Hi sorry l have taken so long to reply I have been busy with work. I have cut out caffeine, diary, citrus fruit, cucumber, Brussels sprouts, various other fruit and veg though I still have a good amount in my diet .

I eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly but can't lose weight I am thinking the migraines might have something to do with it.

My next triggers to look at are chocolate, wheat, and sugar? Fingers crossed it works l think l need a holiday too as I work between 55-60 hours a week l try not to give in until I have to x

• Posted

Hi Hannah

I am the same as you with regard to only being diagnosed a few months ago. My first episode was when I was 17, so to live with this for decades without any form of verification has caused a considerable amount of anxiety (which does not help)

I found it interesting to read about comments made about certain foods on your thread. I have always been aware that I crave foods that are mostly bad for me and avoid as much as possible, I have recently realised that when I have had an episode and slowly regaining my strength I crave (and I mean a really powerful crave) cheese and/or chocolate. Known foods that are bad for any form of headaches/migraines. You mentioned food types you avoid, is this by trial and error?

I also agree about ambulances attending, luckily for me the last ambulance called to assist me (at work) resulted in a blue light first response paramedic reaching me first and recognising my symptoms as he had recently been diagnosed.

• Posted

I am 37.  I have not been diagnosed as of yet but just found out about this last night.  I have had migraines since I was 15 and a patch of white hair started to grow around the same time (idk if it is related).  I have been on several migraines meds over the years.  Last June I hit my head right above my left ear on the freezer handle putting away groceries.  Since I have been in home health they first thought it was a stroke but all tests come back normal.  Stress is a big trigger for me and I have all 4 symptoms: visual, sensory, aphasic and motor.  I would like any suggestions.  How would I go about getting tested for this?  because it sounds exactly like what I am suffering from.   I sent the link to my home nurse and am going to call my neurologist in the morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.