Hemiplegic migraine and topiramate

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 55 year old female in UK and have just been prescribed topiramate for my hemiplegic migraine by my go. Having looked at discussion forums it seems that this drug is a real danger. I am too scared to take it, any suggestions on how to keep an eye on the side effects.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen

At the end of the day only you can decide what is the best solution. Me, after having suicidal thoughts which I followed through!!!  I never want to have anything to do with this horrendous medication ever again. The other side effect which I had was hair loss!! If you do decide to try it just beware of a looming depression and unwise thoughts. If you do begin having these, stop medication immediately and tell someone. I didn't and wish I had. I was not aware of the side effects, at least if you are aware you can act on them quickly. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Karen

I didn't have the symptoms described by Kerry, mine were totally different. Memory loss, tiredness, generally feeeling rough.  Worst of all was the constant sore throats and bad taste in my mouth, I saw 3 GPs they all told me I was imagining it, at that time I didn't connect the symptoms with the drug.  Evetually went back to my neuro and he told me to go cold turkey immediately, which is not advised, as he suspected I had Stephen Johnson Syndrome, a fatal condition.  

It frightened the life out of me and I would not advise anyone using this drug. There are many more people on here who will give you similar stories.

It's up to you, but please be aware of ANY symptoms you experience.

• Posted

If you start having an ache or pain around your shoulder blade, or cramping like pains in your arm don't just brush it off. If one side of your body becomes more weak then the other side. These are major side affects and big signs something is wrong

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.