Hemiplegic migraines and meds

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am unhappy with my current course of medication as my neurologist and obgyn dont seem to agree on what is causing my hp migranes. Im taking 200 mg daily topomax to prevent migranes and 200 mg progesterone to prevent ovulation (to prevent migranes) and then i also need to take imitrex nearly 15-30x per month to stop an active attack.

this treatment isnt any better than the lower dose topomax or the beta blockers or the imitrex by itself was. im at my end of this experiment due to the side effects of the topomax.

my first attack happened when my daughter was 4 weeks old. everyone assumed i had a stroke it was terrible i was completely blind and couldnt talk or walk or speak. since then my right eye goes fully or partially blind nearly daily. if i ignore that symptom the more annoying ones follow.

i really would like to try plain birth control again bc i was on it for 20 years before i knew i had this condition (prior to having kids) and use it to control my hormones and therefore control my migranes but supposedly estrogen and hp migranes are a stroke risk and now no dr will prescribe it to me. has anyone else been prescribed combination bc? am i crazy to think they will controlling an issue i didnt know i had for 20 years?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have suffered like you for ten years. They got worse on hrt tablets. I'm now on gel which made them worse at first but now they have eased. Not gone but less horrific. None of the preventative have worked except pizotifen which has taken the edge off slightly. I still regularly find myself bedridden.

• Posted

Hello I hope you are feeling a little bit better.

I also suffer with hemiplegic migraines And they believe hormones are also a trigger from. do you know if you have any other triggers? I have been on basically every type of contraceptive pill, I think your best bet would be just to keep trialling tablets for a couple of months and seeing if they work or they don’t work. I know it’s not the best solution I’ve been trying to get the right combo of hormones to stop causing my migraines you just have to keep trying to find what is best for your body. If you’d like to message me I’m more than happy to chat more

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.