Hemmoroidectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm a 53yr old woman and had hemmoroid surgery 9 days ago. I am getting better..slowly..but am still in agony. My doctor says everything is on schedule and I will experience pain for a min of 3 weeks. I just wanted to share a few things I have done to maybe help others.

STOOL SOFTENERS....take them!! I take 2 a day.

WATER...drink an enormous amount of water. It helps the stool softener to work..and is a friend to your bowels.

SITZ BATH...run the tub before you have a bowel movement and ease yourself into tub immediately after. Water should be as hot as you can handle.

HAND HELD SHOWER HEAD..upon advise from my doctor I had one installed prior to surgery. Very important to keep area clean. Also, a steady stream of cold water to the area after a hot bath feels awesome.

ICE PACKS...I cut the fingers out of some latex gloves, filled them with water and froze them. Mini ice packs that fit nicely between your butt cheeks.

MEDS...Prior to surgery I scoffed at the doctors suggestion of heavy pain killers....I'm so glad he insisted. You will need pain killers, trust me.

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY...my doctor prescribed prescription strength Advil to help with swelling. I'm not sure it's doing anything but take it. Also, months prior to surgery I was prescribed something called Proctofoam. If you can get your doctor to prescribe this you will not be sorry. I do not use it internally...just dab it on the area with a piece of toilet paper. It has a pretty instant affect on pain.

FOOD...eat plenty of fruit and fibrous vegetables. It goes without saying you don't want to eat anything with seeds..like watermelon. Also, you won't like passing peas and corn at this stage either.

RELAX...seriously. Relax as much as you can and don't let anyone tell you how you should be feeling. Everyone heals differently.

PATIENCE...you are in for a long haul so bunker down and wait it out.

Hope these things help.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thank you, for shareing your experience, I am on day 5 after my op, and this site is helping me so much, my pain comes and goes now and I am so fed up but in to much pain to leave the house, I am going for a BM every day which is good but I suffer for at least an hour afterwoods, nobody who has not had the op understands the pain and discomfort, but hopefully won't last to much longer.

• Posted

I'm finishing up 5 weeks post OP and still have extreme pain mainly after a BM. Ibuprofen is the only thing that has helped me. If I dont have them in me before a BM the pain 5 mins afterwards is aweful. It feels like I've been kicked in the tailbone. I have had this pain ever since they wheeled me into the the hall to go home. Does anyone else have this same type of pain and 5 weeks after?

• Posted

Good tips.  I am just finishing post op day 4.  See my other posts fora more detailed story.  

I woulld place hot  baths and showers at #1 but agree with all your points.  Interestingly I was forbidden ibuprofen post op.  But I needed it and have been cycling ibuprofen and Tylenol effectively since day 2.

Also and perhaps paradoxically, my moments of exercising (running) have been helpful once I get over the initial discomfort.

• Posted

I'm at almost 5 months post op now and yes, it takes a VERY long time to heal for some of us. My surgeon said it can take from 6 months to a year for everything to heal up and settle down as the nerves are in a state of shock and trauma. So, don't be made worried by things like fissures, or tenesmus, bleeding, pain, etc. All part of the healing process. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.