Hemo dialysis.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. I have been informed that I am having my hemo catheter fitted next Tuesday.

I was hoping I could stay away from hemo but my pd catheter never worked.

How do you feel once you've been on it. Does it knock you About etc??

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hey Bryan,

HD isn't really that bad as long as you keep your fluids in check and know your limits as to how much you can handle having taken off. It obviously differs person to person, but I found my maximum tolerance was 3 litres. If they tried to take more off I felt rough as afterwards, weak shaky headache etc. You'll learn if you go over what you can handle pretty quickly and never attempt it again!! If they take too much off but it is within your tolerance then you'll start to get cramps in your legs. It might take a session or two to determine your dry weight accurately but once you're happy with it and stay within tolerates removal amount it really isn't that bad. Good luck!!

• Posted

Matt, thanks for sharing your experiences! I'm still in a holding pattern having regained some renal function. BUT I know dialysis is still on the horizon so it helps a lot to here personal experiences for those who have gone before me, so yo speak.

• Posted

Yes I understand completely!! If you have any questions in the future, just post on this thread as in following it. Take care.
    • Posted

Matt.

Im down for hemo having had the fistula put in. What do you mean by litres taken off?

I heard the needles are huge and painful. Is that right?

I always wondered about healing from the needles only to get another lot two days later. Does it bleed much after the needle comes out?

Sorry bout so many uncertainties.

• Posted

Hey John,

At the moment you are probably passing urine, so they will only really “clean” your blood and take a minimal amount of fluid off you. If your condition deteriorates, you may produce les and less urine. This means that when you drink you are not peeing it out so basically you will gain weight. I’ll be honest, quite frequently when on dialysis, the kidneys get used to the machine doing everything so urine output decreases. I ended up producing zero urine, so the machine does 2 things......cleans the bad stuff out your blood and secondly removes the excess fluid that isn’t passed  because of the lack of urine. Basically, 1kg of weight = 1 litre of fluid. Say my dry weight (the proper body weight I should be without excess fluid) is 65kg and I drink 3 litres, my weight would go up to 68 because I’m not peeing. That means at the dialysis session they would remove 3 litres to get me back to my dry weight. This is why you may eventually find yourself with a fluid restriction, otherwise if you drink too much between sessions and don’t pass it, you would just get heavier and heavier due to fluid retention.

The needles are bigger than injection needles and I won’t lie, it can smart a bit but once they are in it doesn’t hurt. What you might want to do is use a numbing cream. There is a good cream called EMLA CREAM 5%. You spread it thickly across the area 1hr prior to dialysis, and wrap the arm /area under cling film. This ensures the numbing agent sinks into the skin. This cream helps a lot.

When they take the needles out, they will generally cover the entry point with gauze / cotton ball / surgical dressing, push down with a finger and pull the needle out to stop blood from spraying out. Seeing as the needles are quite thick, it takes some time to stop bleeding. You will generally wait on the bed / in the chair holding the 2 pads down for about 20 minutes to let the bleeding stop / wound close up. Then the nurse will come back and put tape on the dressing to free up your holding arm so you can get up and move around / go home!! Personally, I used something called “fistula stop” which are 2 tourniquets with a plastic button in the middle. You (the nurse) place the button over the wound and then tighten the tourniquet so you don’t have to hold the wound for 20 mins with your other arm. It’s just convenient.....it still has to stay on for the 20 mins while the wound dries up.

Lastly, recovery of the wound between sessions. What the nurses do is a technique called “the rope ladder technique”. This is where they don’t use the same spot every time. There are 2 needles, say an inch apart. They will use these 2 spots on day 1. The next session, they will look where the wounds are, then move a couple of millimetres up from each wound, then the next session a further 2mm up etc. etc. etc. Once they reach the top of the “useable area” then they’ll start at the bottom all over again by which time the bottom would have healed really well and be ready for needling again.

Where about are you based BTW? Are you in the US or U.K.? The names of the cream and tourniquets may be different if you’re in the US. I used the U.K. names as that’s where I am (well, was as I’ve had a kidney transplant 2 weeks ago so I’m off dialysis now!).

Sorry to be brutally honest but it’s best to go in prepared rather than the shock I had on day 1. Nobody even explained the waiting to stop bleeding to me and I just stood up and bled all over the place!!

Just try to make sure you get EMLA cream. You won’t know where they will needle until after the first session, so make sure you have it for session 2 onwards and ask them to indicate where they may needle on session 2.

Anything else just shout. Good luck my friend.

• Posted

What a thorough and accurate comment Matt!
    • Posted

Unfortunately from years of experience, Fran!! Thank you.
    • Posted

I'm so happy to hear you got a transplant. I hope all goes well for you. It must be far better than dialysis. What is the gfr with the new kidney?

• Posted

Unreal Matt.

You made me feel so happy with this reading. Wow

• Posted

In hemodialysis, a dialysis machine and a special filter called an artificial kidney, or a dialyzer, are used to clean your blood. To get your blood into the dialyzer, the doctor needs to make an access, or entrance, into your blood vessels. This is done with minor surgery, usually to your arm.
  • Posted

Aw Bryan I am happy for u!! I know u didnt want hemo, keep in touch!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.