hemochromatosis-feeling drunk/drugged?

Posted , 34 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi everyone,

I'm a 23 year old female. I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis at the beginning of December 2013, de-ironed by beginning of January 2014. Even though I have been de-ironed, I have still been experiencing a symptom I can only describe as feeling drunk or drugged at times. It's always worse during times of physiologic stress (ie if I'm tired, haven't eaten in many hours, if I have a cold, etc). I'm starting to think it might be adrenal-related. I'm also super exhausted and have a lot of muscle weakness at times. I'm pretty scared and feel like this feeling is never going to go away. I had never felt this way until I was very sick (pre-diagnosis). Does this sounds familiar to anyone? Please let me know. Would love some reassurance that this will get better. If it won't, honestly, please don't reply, it's just going to make me feel worse.

3 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I thin its from otherwise..in september i repeat MRI in other country. He don't give me any medication because i didn't tell him that i feel like that,because then i did CT scan i just told that i have head pain and he gave just painkillers.  I even don't know are there is medication from my strange symptoms..
  • Posted

yeah..but still its long time to next appoinment..i can't live daily live then iam feeling like that..i hope that i don't feel like that all my rest life..iam just almost 21..and i feeling like i have hangover every day...are you don't drink any medication from that?
    • Posted

I have the same symptoms going on for a while.  Mine happened right after a night of few drinks.  MRI didn't show any injuries...I have had the  $20k check up with everything coming back normal...learning to live with it because I don't see any otherway to cope. 
    • Posted

How long you have this symptoms? i can't live with this its so annoying..i don't want to do anything,and iam despered..
    • Posted

Gee, that is enough to turn one off alcohol altogether.  Ignas you might get more responses regarding your problem by tapping into the 'Brain and Nerves' forum.
  • Posted

I'm 15 and I have a similar thing going on with me. About 2 weeks ago I got really sick and ever since then I've felt like I'm drugged or something. I get really dizzy and I hallucinate a lot. When I go to bed I ache. When I wake up I feel like it was the longest night and I always wake up in the middle of my sleep. It feels like my whole life is literally one big dream right now and I'm freaking out.
    • Posted

I second that.

If your parents are around tell them what's going on and make someone take you to a doctor, this is not something you should sit on and just hope it goes away.

• Posted

I have been diagnosed in August 2014, didn't get the phelobotomies started until 2 months ago. Ferrin has gone from 1675 to 1000. I feel not good either. I feel sorta foggy and nausea. I also am getting hot flashes internally. I was getting scared because I am thinking I have cancer, but when I see my blood counts every week, they are the same. Is that the feeling you are getting?
  • Posted

My brother had this symptom, though I never did.  His still comes and goes occasionally,  but it is substantially better now than before treatment.  Our experience has been some of the symptoms you experienced before treatment will occasionally be an issue after, but much less so.  
  • Posted

I also dealing with this same feeling of drunkenness and fatigue.initially had a false diagnosis of vertigo because I explained it feels dizzy.I am completely overwhelmed n lost and still have not been diagnosed. They continue to run test but I feel as if time is of the essence. I considered going to the American red cross to donate blood in a effort to see if a hematologist can actually identify if my beliefs are true.
    • Posted

Donating at the Red Cross won't tell you if you have hemochromatosis.  You need an iron panel done. That shouldn't be hard to convince a doctor to check. 
    • Posted

Thank you mark.I am so scared at this point I'm at a lost.I did the wellness check and se things are very scary.I'm tired feeling drunk including my vision and also constipated. I started looking into this discussion cause too much iron can cause that as well as too little. It just seems like these doctors aren't moving fast enough and a miss diagnosis of vertigo has already wasted two years time.
  • Posted

I'm not a professional but you need some protein in your diet, some oatmeal, protein bars, and meat would PROBABLY help you quite a bit! Not that you will bother looking at this message considering your query was established over a year ago!
    • Posted

I always try to respond in a timely fashion but considering that a overload of iron in your blood can be a factor I don't know about the meat.oatmeal good cause regardless it helps the prostate.I will see what a gain in protein will do.thanks for your advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.