Hemochromatosis-high ferritin venesection are really draining

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all i was diagnosed with a wild type of HH ferretin started at 2000 been doing weekly venesections its now down to 890. It went back up to 950 as i was so tired and kept getting a cold so had to take a few weeks break. I walk around like a zombie all the time. Any ideas when one starts to feel a bit normal. i take vitamin b12 and turmeric tablets but doesnt feel like its helping with the energy levels. is there any other vitamin/supplements people take thet doesnt have any iron in them ? keep dreaming of a red steak and a single malt !!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi i started at 1180 now down to 433 and feel no different still tired aching joints also spoke to chap having same his is down to 250 from 1300 and he says the same no difference

• Posted

i guess we lose more than just iron from these sessions....not sure why they dont give us some chelation tablets at same time to take off some off the pressure from the venesections.

• Posted

curious to know how many treatments ( and howoften) &did it take you to get that reduction? what were your hemoglobin levels throughout? my starting ferritin level similar to yours. have only done 3 and no ferritin test yet.

• Posted

Chelation tablets cause more health issues than you want and best avoided, unless you are elderly and they can't get into a vein. Perhaps it can be part of Type 4 treatment, but I do not know for sure.

• Posted

I am totally amazed that your dr has led you to believe you have (genetic) haemochromatosis. 'Wild type' means you do not have the haemochromatosis gene. Perhaps the genetic test says C282Y/wildtype, or H63D/wildtype, which means you only have one of those genes which should not have led to such a high iron overload. Or your dr has misread the genetic results. You do not say what HFE gene if any that the test revealed.

It would mean that your iron overload was caused by something else, e.g. ingestion of iron supplements, alcohol, infection ,inflammation, malignancy, liver disease, cancer. This needs to be searched, diagnosed and treated. Venesections will not cure it. They are ok up to a point and most likely your body is not coping with the frequency.

It is quite possible you have Type 4 haemochromatosis. "Hemochromatosis type 4, is a hereditary iron overload disorder that affects ferroportin, an iron transport protein needed to export iron from cells into circulation. Although the disease is rare, it is found throughout the world and affects people from various ethnic groups." You will have to search this out yourself, as I do not know much about it, but there is someone who has contributed to this haemochromatosis who has it and knows quite a bit, But from what I believe, with Type 4, you are not able to cope with too many vx, and other forms of treatment is required. You will be hard pressed to find a dr who know anything about it or even acknowledge it, so you will have to do your own research, print it off, and give it to your dr.

It is not recommended to eliminate red meat, greens etc to treat haemochromatosis anyway. Ironically, you need the natural iron to keep your Hb in a healthy range to enable you to have venesections. A vx will remove the iron of 50 steaks from your body. So some red meat is negligible in the big picture . Just don't have it morning, noon and night. Calcium is the only proven iron uptake reducer but it also reduces uptake of other important minerals. Nevertheless, I still take some for my bones, and we eat cheese/yoghurt for desert. Tea and coffee is said to help, and more beneficial anyway, and makes us feel like we are doing something about our iron levels, true or not. Avoid Vit C and juices high in Vic C. whole fruit is ok because you still need the antioxidents, ACE, to prevent colds, etc. I do suck on a Vit C tablet (500mgs) last thing at night which, for me, prevents sore throats, etc. Researchers have found that CoQ10 and Vit E helps repair damaged mitochondria caused by haemochromatosis.

We do partake in a red wine with our dinner (the polyphenols are supposed to reduce the uptake of iron) but stick to one .... mostly .... on an everyday basis.

My husband, who is homozygous H63D, cannot absorb Vit B12 from tablets. The deficiency caused severe neurological problems, but picked up almost immediately with weekly B12 injections. He has now moved on to 3 monthly. I cannot absorb Vit D from tablets or the sun (I live in the tropics), but a practitioner's brand of Vit D3 forte drops worked immediately. This is a very important vitamin also. I will leave it to you to search that out. FYI, I am homozygous C282Y, and our son is compound homozygous C282Y/H63D.

Although the retailers of turmeric like to say that it reduces the uptake of iron, it does NOT. It is a myth. If it did , all of India would be anaemic. In large quantities, it may reduce inflammation but I would rather take Omega 3 which does a better job and does not give me yellow teeth.

Because I started having problems letting my blood go during vx, I decided to try a 100mg of aspirin a day to thin my blood. It had the side effect of releasing my body of some pain, I walked faster and I felt lighter. It seemed like it flushed stale iron out of my cells. Very recently, because of some dental work, I had to stop the aspirin, and boy, did I feel the difference. Back onto the aspirin quick smart.

I have been dealing with this for 21 years, read lots of medical research, attend conferences, talk to researchers and always on the look out for new information. I am a volunteer advocate for my country's hemo organisation and have run a support group. Best way is to google '(the issue) and iron overload'.

I hope you get this sorted out and I would love to hear the outcome. Good luck.

• Posted

hi Sheryl, have you ever had B12 injections? i have heard these help greatly when having weekly venesctions.

• Posted

I never had B12 injections when I was having weekly injections. In fact I only started about a 2 years ago when I read that it helps to increase blood volume in veins, as my veins were going on strike and making vx difficult.

But I would have been taking B12 in tablet form and did not have a deficiency like my husband did. He was not absorbing from tablets.

If I had known about it at the time, I would certainly have asked for B12 injections while I was having weekly vx, only because I would try anything that helps.

• Posted

Hi Sheryl thank you for your lengthy response and i apologise for my late response( i havent been feeling too well recently) . i am being treated by Professor John Porter at Cancer macmillian centre in London UK so i hope he knows what he is doing to me. I have done about 25 weekly venesections (initially i was advised i may need up to 55 weekly venesections) and my ferretin has come down from 2000 to 286(aiming for 50). I guess it is working but some weeks i am completely shattered and mentally exhausted too and feel like a zombie . Not sure about others but i still feel tired all the time. My blood has been sent to Oxford for Genetic testing and should get the results back by the end of the month(will keep you updated ). They think i may have a rare type of HH which could include transferrin receptor 2 mutation, Meduphin mutation or less likely ferroportin disease.

• Posted

i take one vitamin B 12 complex tablet daily and it really helps with the weekly venesections. Some weeks it becomes very tiring but please dont give up. this is coming from someone who has needle phobia and the nurses struggle to find my vein.

• Posted

Hi hammers - it is rather strange that you are at the 25 week stage of vx and not received a genetic test result. Google does not recognise Meduphin so maybe a typo. I have not availed myself of info on ferroportin disease but there was a lady who had it and used to contribute. I think what I remember is that people with ferroportin disease do not take vx very well, as Hb does not support it. Oops, I am repeating myself.

If you have had 25 weekly vx, it is highly likely that is too much for you. Is your Hb keeping in the healthy range? Generally someone is not kept on weekly for that long and is changed to 2 weekly for a short while, then graduate to monthly, and so on.

While vx does not affect me other than my veins going on strike and the phlebotomists have to work at it, unfortunately I still have ongoing fatigue and short days of some sort of activity.

Let us know what the results are, please.

• Posted

I have been vx for 21 years now, and I am highly motivated to get that 'stuff out of me'.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.