Hemodialysis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, looks like I'm heading for hemodialysis. I can't do PD cause I'll have stomach surgery soon. Is it really that bad?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi John,

I just started PD two days ago, so I don't have any personal experience with hemodialysis. I have talked to a few of my friends that are doing hemodialysis and they seem to be very drained after the dialysis. They all say they wish they would have tried PD. However I do have one friend that says hemodialysis is not all bad, he does not feel drained or tired and goes on with his life. He makes sure he eats and drinks property.

• Posted

Very confusing outcomes. Sounds like it isn't much of a relief.

• Posted

It will be the first step to you feeling better. It really doesn't take long, before you know it you will be thinking " wow I was really sick ". Kidney failure is insidious in that it creeps up on you, and all of a sudden you can't catch your breath just walking to the mailbox. Those days will be gone forever, just trust your nurses at the hemodialysis center (this will be your new family )they will have your best interest at heart. Now I'm going to close with a really corny but true saying, "you don't have to do it forever, just for today, one day at a time ". Good luck
    • Posted

Thanks guys. You words are comforting.  

James feels better on hemo. I have annoying nocturnal sleep interruptions. Love to have a good night rest, been quite a while on that front. Maybe hemo will help the kidneys retain water.

I guess James carelfully watches what he eats and drinks and thats the key.  

I was told there is no swimming with a fistula, is this right?

I wonder what James kidney function was before starting the hemo.

• Posted

Sounds positive.

I guess you would have to feel better. Only makes sense if your system is being cleaned.

Why don't you have to do it forever? Do you mean you eventually be dead anyway?

• Posted

Let me say this about that, James does not watch what he eats or drinks as well as he should. It'seems like I get hungry and start to eat, and just want to chew or put food in my mouth. It is very difficult to get enough protein. I do like grilled cheese. And my GFR was 9 when I started my weight was around 290 so I had a lot of water weight to loose. Swimming with a fistula I can't imagine why not, you shower and bathe like normal why not swim. Maybe not racing or competitive swimming at first but after a while why not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.