Hemoglobin......how low to go?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am Canadian and our protocol seems to indicate therapeutic phlebotomy should continue til ferritin under 100 as long as hemoglobin level is no lower than

than 105-110

My US doc prescribed no lower than 110.

Iron Institute strict protocol ...no less than 125.

what criteria do Great Britain and Australia follow....anybody else?

I am inquiring re therapeutic phleb...I know for reg donation it is 125 for women, 135 for men.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am from the UK and my doctors like to keep my ferritin below 50, but its caused me issues with tiredness and muscle spasms. I am now going to keep it around 100.

• Posted

Asking about how low your HEMOGLOBIN was allowed to go during phlebotomy.

• Posted

In Australia we should be de-ironed to <50, but then can settle at a higher rate if suits. This follows the International haemochromatosis protocol. TS% should also be brought down to <50 and not rise again.

Prof Paul Adams, a founding figure of the Haemochromatosis Association in Canada believes >650 is ok!!! I get arrythmia and chest pain at a ferritin level of 80 or even less so that is no good for me. I am ok mid 20s but it could be much different for others, that is, after being de-ironed to <50.

I often refer people to the Iron Disorders Institute 'Helpful Forms', Haemochromatosis Reference Chart, which states Induction State = 50-75 with TS% 40, and Maintenance at 50-150 with TS% 40.

• Posted

i am inquiring about HEMOGLOBIN levels during phlebotomy regime.

• Posted

Sorry - but that was not clear. It would be same as regular donation.

• Edited

As indicated in my initial question ( Hemoglobin how low togo) ...in Canada regular blood donations require hemoglobin no less than 125....

For therapeutic phlebotomy it is 105-110, in US it is 110.

still wondering what is it in Great Britain.

Sheryl indicates that in Australia it is the same for both but Im not sure what that number is???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.