hemophiliacs / haemophiliacs who've had ankle replacement (those with hemophilia)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm looking for people with bleeding disorders, specifically hemophiliacs, who have under gone an Total Ankle Replacement (TAR). I have had conflicting advice from 2 leading sturgeons in the US and UK and would now love some advice from patients.

1. Why you decided to have a TAR instead of a fusion
  2. What your situation was before the surgery (i.e. did you have any cartilage left? were you bone-on-bone? Did you also have arthritis)
  3. If you are happy with the results
  4. What was your general experience regarding recovery?
  5. What complications you faced as a result of your hemophilia?

I know there is a long thread about Ankle replacements, however, I have reviewed that thread thoroughly and have not seen anyone who had hemophilia, thus wanted to start a new thread specifically for those with bleeding disorders who have had ankle surgery. Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

decided against Tar. had fusion. result perfect. 2nd fusion had done both great and 1 is getting on 50 years old. fusion lasts forever. Tar doesnt. I guess its an age and lifestyle call. no bleeding though am severe, recovery ahead of schedule. only difficulty is NW,B and you really need to prepare for that. surprised how much flexibility there is. walking easy and painless up and down hills. any other questions just ask.

was bone on bone

any errors in typing down to tiny phone and unrelated dopiness due to drugs for unrelated event

• Posted

Hi,

Did you have it done in the US or in the UK? How many years ago did you have it done?

My husband is also severe.

• Edited

both in Uk, 1 in 1972 and one in2017 both total successes and pain free. though first took 12 weeks in hosp to stop bleeding. (ah the good old days) and second hardly noticed keyhole surgery without any bleeding at all.

• Edited

non weight bearing, its a long time and you have to really prepare. Best result means never touching ground and thats hard. Also get a fan tower you can direct at foot level it gets hot and a chair with really raised footrest to keep foot really elevated, above heart level at all times. And a bed tent or support to keep covers off in bed, and even raise feet of bed a little. More prep means it goes well.

• Posted

You've been through quite a lot! Thanks for sharing your good ideas. Things like this only come from those who have been through it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.